buying overseas question

Started by Andy Cubin, September 12, 2015, 11:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

According to The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 Schedule 12: Part I, the following are not required to have a stop light:

- A vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;

- A vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 being an agricultural vehicle or a works truck;

- A vehicle first used before 1st January 1936.

Given the problematic nature of many of our brakes, a stop light is probably unnecessary anyway!

But I agree with the sense of fitting a bicycle speedo especially as when The Motor Cycle tested the Model 10 they considered it "fast".......

Andy Cubin

Well I have taken the plunge and had my offer accepted. 

The import will take about 10 days and, once it's here, I'll post up some imagery.

I'd like to thank all of you who contributed to this thread - truly invaluable and I am very grateful.

Cheers

Andy (almost there!)

wessex_man

Yes whilst not a requirement on pre 37 bikes (same for rear stop light) it makes sense to fit one.  I know of a few VMCC riders :-X who got caught well in excess in a 30mph limit and got points a few years back. See the modern push bike one I fitted to my beam cost about a tenner.
http://www.marston-sunbeam.org/sunbeamForum/index.php?topic=135.0

Greybeard

Its been a while since I was regularly involved with the legislation for that kind of thing, but some legislation is retrospective, such as the requirement for a brake light even though one may not have been fitted when it was new. I believe there may still be exemptions if the fitting of any such device is not practicable - usually its preceded by the woed 'reasonably'. Motorcycles of 100cc or more are required to have a speedo, though Im not sure whether this does have a cut-off date. A bicycle speedo would suffice, Im thinking of the simple gps type which you could fit easily and would be a far cheaper option than fitting a Smiths or similar. Thats the sort of thing I intend to use on my 1927 172cc Francis Barnett.  Of course, the lack of a speedo is no defence if you do sneak over the limit and get caught  ;)
It would be safest to check with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (they used to be called VOSA) on 0300 123 9000 for a definitive answer. Your local MOT tester may not be fully up to speed with the requirements for historic vehicles, especially now that many no longer require testing. However all the legislation regarding the vehicle being roadworthy does, and any insurer will be very keen to check on such things in the event of a mishap or claim.
Steve
1916 Triumph Model H
1926 AJS G8 500cc ohv
1937 Sunbeam Lion 500cc
1937 Ariel 500cc
1949 Matchless G80S
1952 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1953 Matchless G9
1953 BSA B31
1961 Matchless G80
1961 AJS M31 De Luxe 650cc
1961 Panther M120 650cc
BMWs R100RT - R80 - 1960 Earles fork R60
1960 Rover P4

VicYouel

Andy,

No problem. A speedo was not a legal requirement till (I think) machines built from 1937.

Vic

Andy Cubin

Of note - my potential Beamer does not have a speedo, nor odometer.  An issue or not?

Andy

Andy Cubin

Thanks Phutton,

date says 1st Sep 1932 - that would make sense.

Andy

phutton

You are right that the numbers indicate that the machine is a 1933 model, but don't forget that Marston's started manufacture of the 1933 models in around September of 1932. It is entirely possible therefore to have a 1933 model registered in 1932. What is the registration date?

The machine is on the Club's Register as 1932.

Andy Cubin

Well I visited the chap and he had an incomplete modern V5 with the tear-off slip missing.  He claims that he is the second owner in his country, the previous owner having imported it from the UK.

The Log Book says the machine is a 1932 Model 8, but my cursory look against the numbers - VIN - 9338, Engine KK4207 - show this machine to be a 1933.

It was an experience to ride, as it was my first go at the tank mounted gear shift configuration, but I really enjoyed it.

Anyone got any alarm bells ringing from the above?  If not, I'll make him and offer.

Cheers all.

Andy

iansoady

I think you still have to go through the NOVA process though, to demonstarte that VAT is not payable.

Andy Cubin

Thanks Vic,

life is good this morning!

VicYouel

I went to the link and noted the following statement.

You don't usually have to pay VAT if you're importing a second-hand vehicle and the VAT was paid in another EU country.  So why bother with NOVA/HMRC? It's another matter for imports outside the EU.

Andy Cubin

Thats significant Ian,

Potentially putting 20% on top of the purchase price with this NOVA business.

Now I need to find out about re-registering in the UK - your point noted Vic - thanks

Andy

iansoady

I'm not sure that's entirely correct (although it should be). Other people bringing bikes in from the EU have had to complete NOVA forms.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-and-tax-vehicles-from-within-the-eu

VicYouel

EEC.... common market and no duty payable.  Put it in a van and rive it back via the ferry. Then go through the process of getting the number recovered or simply apply for a historic number. you are under no obligation to inform DVLA of its history.

Vic

phutton

Don't forget that the Club can provide DVLA-approved inspection for registration matters. The process is outlined on the website.

Andy Cubin

Thanks Steve,

I have been on the gov website and it seems that, provided it's EU and the bike is for your own use, it is exempt from import duty and VAT in the UK.

Further homework is showing that the costs of bringing it back to the UK can be extensive and there are some nice examples currently on the market in the UK.

Careful consideration needed methinks!

Cheers again

Andy

Greybeard

It is a possibility, Andy. I've no direct experience, only talking to the chap I bought a Fanny B from the other day. He has finally registered a 1970s 125cc Vespa Primera scooter that was brought over from Italy a few years ago but then put into storage by the original buyer. When he bought it and tried to register it the DVLA wanted copies of documents to show that duty had been paid on it - of course none existed. It's taken him well over 6 months to get a registration number on it. He also got a £100 fine for not insuring it with the new registration number or putting it on SORN! In fact the bike was insured on the frame number in order to apply for the number and tax but because he never thought to change the details on the insurance policy, as he didn't use the bike but began restoring it, the bike was showing as uninsured  :-\
It appears that registration is now far more complex and bureaucratic than it used to be and there are more hoops to jump through, especially since the local DVLA offices closed. I also understand that vehicle inspections are now farmed out to private companies.
I appreciate that this chap's problems were largely the result of lack of the required import documentation, so buying from someone with experience of the processes may save some heartache.
Good luck with finding a 'Beam. Let us know how you get on.

Steve
1916 Triumph Model H
1926 AJS G8 500cc ohv
1937 Sunbeam Lion 500cc
1937 Ariel 500cc
1949 Matchless G80S
1952 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1953 Matchless G9
1953 BSA B31
1961 Matchless G80
1961 AJS M31 De Luxe 650cc
1961 Panther M120 650cc
BMWs R100RT - R80 - 1960 Earles fork R60
1960 Rover P4

Andy Cubin

I am considering buying a Beamer and importing it from Europe.

It has occurred to me that I may be liable for import duty/VAT.

Does anyone know or can shed a light?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy