What mods have you done to your bike to make it easier to ride?

Started by wessex_man, June 24, 2013, 08:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wessex_man

Ps you may also notice a less obvious improvement. In 1929 the primary chain cases were not fitted with clutch stops but relied on a central one on the inspection/ clutch adjustment cover. This arrangement is pretty ineffective with little stopping power applied to the clutch. You may notice the fitted stops to two of the cover fixing holes. They have proven to be much more effective. Adjust as per normal. 

wessex_man

When I first restored my M9 I had the original Lucas Mag Dyno re-wound. It lasted abut six years and was always problematic. Their first all in one mags were notorious for not holding their magnetism and poor sparks.

I bought another bike fitted with the same type of mag with an expensive rewind of both mag and dynamo. After a few kicks it was obvious something was not right despite a spark. So I put a spare known good ML on first kick and away it went. Some Mags were good in their day others were not.   

Out of the half dozen or so I've come in contact with none have been good.  I invested in a new BTH mag and have been using it for at least ten years problem solved. Moral good spark good bike.

max

Hi,

My original BAP kickstart had been badly welded my a previous owner, ground to remove the weld and re-plated. When I bought the bike, it didn't take me long to find the kickstart sheared in two on the garage floor! A quick trip to my local Brit bike dealer (Owens motorcycles in Wrexham north Wales) and a good rummage later in the used parts section produced a kick start off a 60's BSA B40. This has the same internal dia and cotter arrangement of the original and benefits from having a longer length, increasing the fulcrum point and making it easier to kick over. An added bonus is that the top section is of the folding type, so doesn't annoyingly rub your calf when riding!

Max

shorrog

What a great idea, I am just getting my bike back on the road and have been think a speedo would be very useful.
Graham :)

wessex_man

Just thought I'd ask a question.  One simple modification I've done is to add a modern push bike speedo to my beam. Whilst it was an option up until 1937 to have them fitted you can still get done for speeding today so a wise mod in my book. Any others anyone?