Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Model 6 kick starter  (Read 7310 times)

Jim Barbour

Re: Model 6 kick starter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »
Hi Graham,
I appreciate the time you have taken to do this but unfortunately it doesn't match what I have missing(if you know what I mean). The spring I am looking for sits behind the ratchet cog in a groove. The attached photo shows the cog. Does that look like anything you have on yours?
Jim.

shorrog

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:18:26 PM »
Hi Jim
This is the photo of my spring with dimensions from my 1930 model 9 with a BT ratio 3 speed gearbox.
Graham

Jim Barbour

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
Yes the groove in the ratchet is the same Vic.
Graham, I would appreciate the detail when you have time, no rush I have been doing this resto for a couple of years now! Also while you are there, could you tell me the length of the retaining keys, there seems to be grooves for two on the shaft. Thanks for your help.

VicYouel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »
Just wondering whether you have tried our spares secretary Les Hobbs? I would imagine that the ratchet pinion was the same as that used on the 1931 model whose parts list gives the part number as 5497 which changed to 5497B when they changed the gearbox to a four speed of different design in 1932. The spring changed from part 583 to 7154 but I bet they are pretty similar.  Anyway the spring fits in a groove on the 1932 type which measures 1 1/2 inches and is 1/8 inch wide.  I have a few variations that all seem to fit but they differ slightly in strength. At one time our club did have batches made and I have one example left.

shorrog

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:10:26 AM »
Hi Jim
Welcome to the forum and I think you have the protocol correct! Just ask the questions and hopefully someone may be able to help.

I actually have just stripped down my 1930 model 9 gearbox and I was wondering if it has the same kick start mechanism. Anyway if it helps I can photo and take measurements of my spring but it wont be until Friday,
Graham

Jim Barbour

Model 6 kick starter
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:11:28 PM »
Hi, I am new to this so hope I am conforming with protocol!
Can anyone help with a missing kickstart ratchet pinion spring for my 1930 Model 6. Are they available to purchase from anywhere, or can someone help me with the details of wire gauge, dimensions to allow me to make one?
Thanks,
Jim