Reassemble Cush Drive Sprocket

Started by Steve_M90, January 01, 2019, 03:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VicYouel

Thanks Rick,
My 1932 was I think fitted with a later engine.....and I agree all the splines I have seen have suffered; indeed I had to have one shaft remade by Alpha a couple of years ago.
Vic

Rick Parkington

I think it's a bit later than 1932, Vic - certainly I had to make a shock absorber extractor for my '32 9A so I think Steve will need one.
I'm not sure what year it was but the cranks changed. The later ones have a heavier big end assembly and a larger drive side mainshaft (which takes a bigger bearing and won't fit the earlier case). This larger mainshaft is splined instead of tapered at the end for the shock absorber sleeve so that's the one that doesn't need a puller.
Not sure it was an improvement otherwise, I have seen two of these cranks and the splines were worn out on both...
With the earlier tapered drive side shafts, you need a puller to remove the sleeve but in answer to Steve's other question I haven't found a problem re-engaging the nut on the crank with the spring fitted and yes do do have to remove the sleeve to take off the inner casing.
Cheers Rick 

VicYouel

Sorry Steve..... you sent me a pm to which I attemted to reply; short answer is I cannot recall my previous  experience. A 1931 shock absorber does need a special tool as far as I can recall but the 1932 onwards does not and it is pretty straight forward.
Vic

VicYouel

I just moved the item to the "tools" section of the shop!
Vic

VicYouel

Steve_M90

I would like to remove the front chain case to inspect it for distortion - clutch lift problems (see separate post). As I am loosening the nut on the cush drive sprocket, the spring still seems to have considerable compression. Will I need to compress the spring in order to reassemble it?

Can I get the case off without removing the centre piece? Does the club still have extractor tools for this?

Thanks, Steve