Oil dripper

Started by John Stanley, April 15, 2012, 06:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stanley

I finished my 1926 Model 5 short stroke a couple of weeks ago.  Have been trying to narrow down a good range of how much oil should be going through the dripper bowl on top of the petrol tank.

If I am reading the manual correctly, there should be at least a good half a teacup full of oil in the engine all the time.  I am taking this to mean 3oz plus.  Is this correct?  Have drained twice, and have had a full cup both times, which I assume is enough to slow down the engine.  Strange thing is that no oil is coming out anywhere, and the engine is completely oil tight.  Am currently checking to see if the engine is wetsumping while standing in case some of the excess oil is coming in that way.  I had been giving it a half pump every now and then just because of being nervous of underoiling, and that could have added up, but a pump seems to be less than an oz, so it take quite a bit.

Any idea of a good start for setting the "drip rate" with a mechanical pump?  Am using Harley davidson  50W oil, which I use in all of my vintage bikes.

John Stanley