Rough guide value for a rough 1930 Model 2 please

Started by JimmieS, November 05, 2018, 07:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbryt

Huh....

I wish I had held onto the Sunbeams I had back then, hindsight would have us all rich, but I do still have the 1938 500cc Matchless I got for free back in 1967.

kbryt

love to try but can't bid on a blank page.

Put it this way, as a start guess  it has to be worth over 1,000 they way things are these days.

Then again my 100% original 1929 350 cost me 250 quid.

JimmieS

In an attempt to avoid something similar I am engaged in a 'PDCO' {PreDemise  Clear Out), hence the request for guide valuation.
Jim

kbryt

yes,  he'll go to his grave saying I'll do them up one day..........

seen it so many times. All those hoarders just create  a scarcity and inflate prices.

singleminded

kbryt

Quote from: singleminded on November 11, 2018, 10:29:34 PM
Both these bikes were bought by the same man and he says he is going to restore them, fair play to him..

The number of times I have heard that,  often when there is s tree growing through he rusty remains.

kbryt

Quote from: JimmieS on November 11, 2018, 07:59:37 PM
Is that not a prerequisite to be a vintage motorcycle enthusiast?

daft yes, but not reckless  with the wallet ;)

singleminded

Both these bikes were bought by the same man and he says he is going to restore them, fair play to him..

JimmieS

Is that not a prerequisite to be a vintage motorcycle enthusiast?

kbryt

JimmieS

John, many thanks for the link. Do folk go daft at these auctions or is it sometimes a case of 'must have.' Or a little of each?
Jim

singleminded

JimmyS....check out the results for Fridays H&H auction at the National Motorcycle Museum  and see what lot 6 and lot 7 went for..I was there and I dropped out of the bidding on both these items.Lot 6 had no tinware except for oil and fuel tank. The rear wheel was out of something else???. the forks were there and the exhaust and rear mudguard stay and front wheel. No brake drums.
Lot 7  was mostly complete,the head lamp was a '40's type, an original front mudguard was there as well and all in sound condition. The forks were totally worn out and looked like a very expensive repair job if you could'nt do it yourself.
both had non transferable registrations, which is why i was interested for a future build.John

kbryt

JimmieS

So would I! It was dismantled and boxed many years ago and is inaccessible  at present without much rearranging of the other junk in the garage which I know will have to be sorted out sooner rather than later.

kbryt

JimmieS

Apologies for any confusion. I own the bike but with one thing and another I will never get around to rebuilding it.

Perhaps an advert something like,
'I would like to transfer ownership of this lovely little machine, one of only half a dozen or so left in the world to an enthusiast who, with a little input of money, time, talent and engineering skill could restore it to the magnificent bike it once was.'
could chase the price up to 99p or even a £1!

kbryt

Having said all that, I'd still be tempted to haggle for it;  all Sunbeams are worth saving,depends on your wallet size that's all.

Don't turn your back on it just yet, do try for some pics somehow. One mans pile of junk is another mans project

JimmieS

Hi kbryt
Many thanks for your honest words. Much appreciated,
JimmieS

kbryt

How long is a piece of string?

What is the asking price?
How badly do you want it?
are you prepared for an enormous expense?
are you prepared to search/make for the missing parts?
Have you the money?

the price range could be vast depending on the ignorance greed of the owner
There is no set price for such a thing.

JimmieS

This bike is in a real (almost roofless) barn find condition. While pretty complete, inc headlamp, apart from the frame, forks and stand it is in a poor state and appears to have been stored outdoor for years under a small cover. It would require a lot of effort to get it back on the road. There are no documents and the number plate is unreadable.
I know a photo would help but the bike is dismantled due to lack of space and I appreciate it is worth only what someone would pay. If such a person exists.