One step forward - who can identify this?

Started by Andy Cubin, September 22, 2016, 06:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorrog

Hi Andy
Sounds like I great idea. I did make a video of adjusting the gear selector which you may find helpful http://marston-sunbeam.org/technicalNotes/Model9GearboxAdjustment.html. This is really important on the 3 speed bikes as you need to get the gears aligning correctly a miss-adjustment means that the gears would not be properly meshed
What I did not do was show how you adjust the screw in the clutch bridge. What you do is make sure the cable is not operating the clutch then adjust the screw so it just touches the dome on the end of the rod you can feel this quite easily as you turn the screw as it will start to move the clutch. At this point just back off slightly I think about a qtr of a turn. Now you can adjust the cable to take up the slack and just leave a small amount of play.

You also have to adjust the clutch stops and Paul Hutton has described a means of doing this on the Forum, just search for clutch adjustment

Graham

Andy Cubin

Thanks very much!

The clutch bridge came off and the dome went back on as advertised.  Couldn't have done it without you!

I have come to the conclusion that gear lever and clutch adjustment are part and parcel of everyday owning and, as such, I would like to make a dedicated movie within the series on these 2 subjects.

With that in mind, I would like input as to clutch adjustment - how do you do it?  I have some information, but there are gaps.  I'd like, with your help, to produced a definitive guide to which we can refer to in future.

Cheers

Andy

shorrog

A couple more photos. The last one with the nine 3/16" ball bearings.
Graham

shorrog

Andy
I had the bike on the workbench so I dismantled the clutch bridge to show the components. I cant confirm that the two washers are original but they appear to be. The one on the right appears to have an annular ring for the ball bearings however it could also just be wear. The image IMG_6416 shows the washers inside the holder.

Davetom

Just remove the clutch bridge ( 2 nuts). When you take it off, be aware that there is a ring of ball bearings that the "mushroom " should be resting against. They should be held in with grease but tip the top of the bridge towards you just in case. If you haven't altered anything else you may get away with just replacing the mushroom and bolting it back up, but you may need to readjust the clutch. The mushroom should barely be under any pressure when the clutch is not in use

Andy Cubin

Thanks Gents.

The question now is how to get it back to where it should be?

Andy

shorrog

Andy

I have just found a photo in another thread on the Forum. Take a look at this.
http://www.marston-sunbeam.org/sunbeamForum/index.php?topic=222.msg572#msg572

Graham

Davetom

Yes it sits in ball bearings inside the clutch bridge ( right hand side, where the cable action is transferred to the bike ) , and the clutch push rod directly acts on it

shorrog

Andy
I think this may be the mushroom on the end of the rod that pushes the clutch. It should be attached to the other end of the rod that you can see in the center of the clutch in my photo.

The mushroom is pushed by the cam that is behind the clutch bridge. The mushroom is hardened and I think yours has worn through the case hardening.
Graham

Andy Cubin

This fell off while I was putting the clutch back together.  The clutch lever now seems disconnected from the plates but I can't find where it came from - help!!