Crankcase pressure relief valve

Started by j hood, September 14, 2011, 09:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j hood

Thanks Paul. I had thought that to run it without internals should be ok..What confused me was where the Heck the internals disapeared to as they were there when I built the bike and i have only done about 70 miles on it..John

phutton

I don't know the answer, John, but I know a man who does! Ian Thompson commented:

The breather valve chamber contained a flat thin very light brass shim disc with a very light slightly conical spring above, which was opened by the pressure stroke air then closed for the rest of the cycle thus preventing air being drawn in on the vacuum. ie blow but no suck. These have all rotted away by now and engines seem to run ok without the internals. Manx Nortons ran open crankcase without problem and most Sunbeams post 1930.do as the rocker box has independent pressure feed.

I hope that helps.

Paul

j hood

phutton

Not sure which model you have, but mine (26 M5) just has the plate but no spring.

Paul

j hood

Hi..Has anyone got any details of the spring and valve plate that should go inside the relief valve. Mine started whistling and on inspection the spring and valve plate have disapeared.  John