Model 10 valve lifter

Started by iansoady, October 14, 2015, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

When I actually started to assemble the top end of the engine I discovered that my Mark 1 version wouldn't work as the rocker arm came up further than I had anticipated. So Mark 2 was designed and fitted:

I needed to fabricate the L shaped actuator to actually push down the rocker, cut part of the rocker box away (which did cause me some hesitation) and remove the rocker shaft to assemble the whole thing. This was a blessing in disguise as I could make and fit a new phosphor bronze bush as the original was quite badly worn.

You can see the welded repair to the rocker box in the first picture (done by a previous owner). It looks rough in the photo but seems fairly substantial and I suspect the chances of getting a replacement are slim.

iansoady

Thanks Paul, I will indeed.

I have a number of jobs lined up to keep me busy through the winter but expect to have the Model 10 on the road in the Spring.

I am on a fairly steep learning curve, and it's very different from my previous machines which have normally had spares available off the shelf but it all adds to the challenge!

phutton

Looks like a nice piece of work, Ian. Do let us know how it works out on the road. There are so few of these models left that it will be lovely to see it up and running.

Paul

iansoady

My Sunbeam Model 10 came without any of the valve lifter mechanism. Judging by some of the repaired damage to the rocker box, the original may have disappeared in a shower of sparks, so I needed to set to and make the whole thing. I couldn't find a picture of an original, and the parts book was little help, so I needed to start from scratch. Essentially it's a 5/16" round bar with the end relieved to act as a cam on the rocker arm, the other end threaded to attach an operating arm and 2 lock nuts, a trunnion to attach the cable to the arm, and a locating screw with locknut to stop the whole thing sliding sideways.

Attaching the operating arm via a thread may not work although of course the lifter is used only for starting and stopping. The flatted end which contacts the rocker arm may not provide sufficient lift – a maximum of 5/32", although that would be more at the valve – I guess the original would have had some sort of crank attached although there isn't a lot of room. I could probably turn a bigger diameter attachment and hold that on with a thread and locknut but this will do for starters.