Ethanol-resistant tank lining

Started by phutton, December 11, 2014, 09:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phutton

huwparsons

I used Tank care products flexible sealent remover followed by petseal remover.
The tank had both types in it applied in that order..still leaked though!

having stripped the tank I resoldered  the duff joints and the rear tank mounts then used POR 15 tank prep and metal ready.

It was a really laborious process and the flexible sealer remover was particularly toxic!
very well ventilated room or outside highly recommended.

my main tip would be to use a hairdryer to get the tank bone dry as it has to be for the POR 15 sealant. I used duck tape to seal the dryer to the fuel cap and let the air come out of the fuel tap holes.
The whole lot cost about £100 and took about two days to complete. The tank is in original tatty condition and I wanted to keep it his way. It's 1912 after all!
as an aside it contained so much sealent it's capacity was reduced to about 7/8 of a gallon from 1 and a 1/4!
I never use standard unleaded in my bikes, always supreme or the equivalent as the he is far less Ethanol cut.
My parallel 9 runs beautifully on Shell Optimax with two points of tetra ethyl lead in it.
Proper 100 octane with no Ethanol. 8:1 compression ratio no problem.

Good luck wih it

Huw

phutton

Thanks Huw. What did you use to get the Petseal out?

huwparsons

Hello Paul

I've used POR 15 on a my Ariel Veteran and am very satisfied.
It was a bit of an effort to clean the previous two attempts at lining out, one of which was petseal. POR 15 is available from Frost online.

Cheers

Huw

phutton

Has anyone got any idea of the best ethanol-resistant petrol tank lining? I have got Petseal remover, degreaser and rust treatment, but I haven't yet got the liner. Any thoughts?

Paul