Model 9 Flat tank UK8628

Started by Peter Appleton, January 03, 2019, 10:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Appleton

The MID check would have been a good idea... Unfortunately, I already know that it is insured because I insured it before I found out that I wouldn't be getting the registration document.
DVLA show it as untaxed.

I think that you are right about someone using the same document to create a cloned bike. Whilst the two of them were on different continents that wasn't a problem. Now it has come back to the UK it all comes unstuck. One of us has a wonky frame number, hence my wish to find the other bike.

kbryt

The first place to try is the DVLA site which will tell you if the vehicle is taxed, MOT, Sorn; then ASKMID for insurance details as it possible its not on a bike but on a car.

I did try for you but the sites don't want to play with me, probably because of all the blockers I run.

Seems as if your bike was exported not so long ago, its not unknown for those who have exported bikes to flog off the reg no to one of those pillock number plate dealers, one large bike dealer sells off reg nos as matter of course if its got any value.
Dvla can be a bit of a pain in some cases like this, good luck.

Peter Appleton

Hello I am a new member and am in the middle of purchasing my first Sunbeam. I didn't know that I needed one until my mate Arthur let me have a go on his.

The bike that I have found is a 1928 flat tank model 9. It was recently purchased at the Las Vegas Mecum auction and returned to this country. It still bears the UK registration number UK8628 and the claimed engine and frame numbers match the details on the DVLA database. When we tried to get the registration document the DVLA said that someone else has already got that bike.

I am in contact with Paul Hutton about a dating certificate and he agrees with me that there is something wrong with the frame number on my bike but the engine number looks correct. What we would really like to do is have a look at the 'other' bike claiming the same number. If that bike turns out to be genuine then I have no wish to stir up trouble with the DVLA and will go for an age related number.

Has anyone out there seen UK8628 ? It is not on the Sunbeam register. Obviously DVLA will not provide details for the current registered keeper. I am not asking for anyone to give out confidential information but if it is on display somewhere then I would like to know. Alternatively the owner could contact me, either through this forum or on 07788 556516.

Failing that the details of the bike could be sent to Paul. It would be good to get it on the register.

Thanks

Peter Appleton.
Suffolk