Rear brake pedal - 1931 Model 10

Started by iansoady, January 07, 2016, 04:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

Yes,,very easy to lock my back wheel because of the mechanical ratio of the lever. No rash stabbing at the pedal in an emergency :o..John

iansoady

I've done my best to remove lost motion in the rear brake assembly, had new linings fitted, put shims on the shoes, centralised them etc. But there was a vast amount of movement of the foot pedal between the shoes being just clear of the drum and coming on properly. I suspect it was designed like this as I understand the rear brake was always the one of choice in pre-war years. And I get the feeling that rather than keeping the foot on the footrest, applying the brake was more of a whole foot on the pedal.

When I had a good look at what was going on, it was clear that there was a huge mechanical advantage between the pedal and the operating cam. So I've made a little extender out of 1/8" stainless to reduce the advantage (and hence travel) by about half.

It'll be a little while before I'm on the road, but if I discover it's no good then it's a very simple matter to revert to standard.