Sunbeam Model 5 1925 Carb adjustments

Started by shorrog, July 04, 2016, 09:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phutton

Our e-archive is not available to view on-line, but the items held are on the Documents List I send out every year. You can also find the list on our on-line shop, under publications/accessories/carbs. This particular item is the 1928 Amal Spares List, Amac Carburettor. It covers Amac from 1923 to 1928.

iansoady

I'm not sure how to access this e-archive - any suggestions?

phutton

The e-archive I was referring to is ours! the Amac manual may even be in the Shop.

P.

iansoady

That AMC site run by Christian Gyde was a treasure trove for me when I had a Matchless G80 and also (as you've discovered) has loads of useful generic stuff.

shorrog

Many thanks Paul. I will give it a go. What is the e-archive you refer to ?

I did find a comprehensive  document covering the AMAC carbs at this site http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Carburation/Non-Amal/Amac_Carburettors_1923_-_1928.pdf
Graham

phutton

Hi Graham,

The knurled knob is the pilot jet needle valve. You use this just like a normal Amal, adjusting in to richen, out to weaken, the mixture to get the best tick-over. The manual says between a half turn and one turn out to start with. The usual adjustments are the needle position (if 1928 needle version) or changing the cut-away on the slide. If you haven't got a needle, you have to use the air lever to adjust change the mixture.

Hope that helps! There is an 1928 Amac manual on the e-archive.

P.

shorrog

Hi Folks
I have an Amac carb on the bike and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the screw and the knurled adjuster is on the carb body. Also whats the best way to tune the carb?
Graham