Rubber Smiths cable

Started by klaudius, February 19, 2019, 07:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaudius

You are absolutely right. The old waves can be but with a bit gedult and time very well disassemble at the ends. Often see restored machines with new rubber covers. (...) The inches in inches to get the in German is very difficult. Currently I have this gumierte fabric hose as a substitute until something can be found. My Sunbeam (9A 1932) has very rare Smiths with 140 km / h. Have searched for the original dial 5 years ... Is this hobby crazy or myself? Greetings Claudius

kbryt

The rubber cover always came complete with the whole cable.

Rick Parkington

I used 30mm, thick electrical 'heat-shrink' - the plastic sleeve used for electric cable that shrinks when it is heated. The big size made it easy to get over the cable ends and because it was already quite thick material, once it had shrunk it looked pretty good, like thin rubber. It's not expensive and if you don't like it you can cut it off and try something else!
Cheers Rick 

klaudius

Many thanks. It's just about the rubber cover. Mine was still the first one and fell in 1000 pieces. Have seen many machines have the new. That's my question. I like to take 3 meters. Greetings Claudius

VicYouel

T J Johnsons cables (https://www.accessplace.com/3027555.htm contact details) have supplied speedo cables for many years. They have done the original rubber version with early speedo drive fixing and they can also do a rubber cover version of the later square pin drive fitting.

Vic

klaudius

Hello. Does anyone know where to get the right rubber for the speedometer Original cable 1932 ? . Danke. Claudius.