Petroleum mistery

Started by Daniel, January 11, 2024, 07:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Mistery solved, the owner just forgot to close the petroleum tab....
Visit my Homepage www.underground-motors.ch

Thomas

That seems so! However, a litre is about 20.000 drops. So, you can make a litre within two days with one drop every 5 seconds. That's very rough, of course. Yes, check it with a bag. Perhaps I am wrong.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Daniel

1 litres in 2 day is a lot. But never now. I think I remove the fuel pipe and fix a little plastic bag at the tab.

Thomas

Hi Daniel, at first I thought it to be an impossible mystery but it depends how long the machine stood alone and in what environment volume. Even drops quickly accumulate to a significant amount, the stuff evaporates and if the shed/garage is large enough you do not even smell it. I would check every tank connection for a leak. Maybe you disconnected a pipe and did not fasten it properly again. That can quickly happen, especially at the petrol tap.
Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Daniel

Hello good evening

This Monday I filled the tank of my 9er to full max. Today, Thursday, approx 1 to 2 liters are gone without running the engine. I opened the oil outlet adapter at the crank case to make sure, petroleum was not dripping into it. It's not. And now I'm wondering where else it could have disappeared. 1 litre evaporation thru tank cap sounds a bit too much.

Maybe someone here has an idea.

Cheers
Dani