difficult starting Longstroke

Started by Frank Nield, September 19, 2023, 03:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Nield

Thanks for your comments, Russ. I will go through them carefully and let you know how I'm doing.

Russ

I'm guessing you know the starting procedure for AMAC twin lever carbs assuming you're using the twin levers and not a Twist throttle....did the bike start normally before your troubles or was it always difficult to start? if it did and as you say there's no fuel getting through then it can only be a blocked or gummed up jet or air hole give it a thorough clean buy yourself some carburettor cleaning brushes off eBay to clear out any blockages better still get it ultra sonically cleaned....starting from cold make sure the air lever is closed put the throttle lever about 1/4 to 1/3 open and give the mag lever about a 1/4 from fully retarded.....a tickle or 2 on the carb then give the old girl an couple of gentle turn overs the get it just past compression and give her a solid kick....if it sounded like it was nearly going to go give it a touch more mag and do the same fingers crossed it should go.....be mindful that if you haven't ridden it for a while it may have sumped somewhat that will cause starting issues just drain a half cupful of oil out of the crankcase or indeed drain it all then top up with about 8 / 10 pump fulls to replensish.....I'm having issues with an AMAC 15 PJY at the moment which will no doubt get resolved it 'll just take some experimentation and patience.....good luck

Frank Nield

1926 Longstroke with AMAC Type 15 HYDM carb. Big fat spark but no petrol getting through onto plug. Tappets ok. Will go sometimes with  drop of petrol poured in. Backfire usually precedes engine starting. Once it's going, it will go for ever, and will tick over perfectly. Currently have carb off for a thorough cleaning. Am I missing something obvious? I'm not an engineer and have done several Banbury runs on this bike with no bother. Any suggestions welcome!