Lazarus - or the return to life of a Model 10

Started by iansoady, April 12, 2016, 02:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

a lot of what he sells are what a lot of us would call projects, I've bought a few things from him over the years, apart from the model 10 they've all needed some fettling but have been fundamentally ok, but for the money I paid the model 10 just wasn't worth it from my point of view, I had a nice unrestored model 9 instead, I was happy but it did take me a couple of weeks to get it right, in fairness to him he didn't quibble just asked me what I wanted to do, he's basically a decent bloke, he doesn't do anything to the bikes he's selling just buys them puts his profit on top and sells them on, for instance, he was selling an ajs big port a few years ago for 11500, I know for a fact he gave the bloke 11 for it

iansoady

Many thanks Andy, we did have a brief email conversation about the Model 10 when I first bought it.

I am pleased with the results although would dearly love a better timing cover, and there are one or two other aspects that are not quite right.

I was at an event at the National Motorcycle Museum earlier this year and was speaking to someone who had driven all the way from west Wales to buy a bike from the same vendor. When he saw the state it was in he turned round and went straight back home without it......

andy

I'm glad you got this sorted, it was me that sent it back to Andy Tiernan, I think we spoke on the phone, great job and a rare sunbeam back on the road, well done

VicYouel

Ian,

I think that is just the sort of article our members would love to see in Beaming ..... thanks also for the compliments by the way. Incidentally many inner Sunbeam mag covers are snapped off; I am of the opinion it was a thirties modification to provide better access to magneto removal!  Also I understand that Chris Odling makes  the magneto sprocket.

Keep up the good work Ian

Vic (also an IKBA fan..... Tiger 90 by the way)

iansoady

I promised Vic that I would provide the story of the Model 10 rebuild so here it is: http://www.iansoady.org.uk/Sunbeam/restoration.html.

It's a bit long for Beaming I'm afraid although I'm happy to provide a text version.