1927 M9 oil lines

Started by Russ, December 07, 2022, 04:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

I've managed to sort this out myself so new 5/16" lines made up just need soldering to finish off once a bit of tweaking has been done....so nearly there then it's off for dull nickel plating.....actually I might have a go at this myself as well

wessex_man

Ahh that explains it. they should be 5/16 OD the (like the one to the gearbox). Your one to the gearbox looks dead right.

Russ

Quote from: wessex_man on December 10, 2022, 07:46:15 PMHow does your oiling system currently work ie what is the tank pump fitting? It appears to directly feed from the oil tank to either the oil regulator or rear chain , depending on where the tap is positioned. And from the pump to the engine.

The one below goes up to a sight glass where the drips can be seen, then to the engine. It encorperates a hand pump which can be used to pump oil directly from the oil tank to the engine bypassing the Best Lloyd pump.
it doesn't if and when it did work piped up as it is the oil feed to the pump was by using the hand pump oil from the pump went directly into the engine no sight glass reading as it was bypassed you could regulate the flow on the pump but there was no way of knowing how much the engine was getting it was a bit of a bodge my handpump / sight glass drip feeder has been mechanically renovated with new in and out pipes and fittings new non return valve ball and spring so no need for it to be bypassed I'm now about to re-route and connect all the pipework as per the second picture which is how it should be my only issue is what size are the feed pipe from the oil tank to the pump and the oil feed pipe from the pump to the sight glass as they were they're 1/4" OD.....the Brass receiving unions on the inlet and discharge side of the mechanical pump take a 1/8" BSP gland nut which means max' diameter pipe is 1/4" OD the pipe from the sight glass to the 2 wat tap is 5/16" OD the pipe from the 2 way tap to the gearbox is 5/16" OD and the other pipe from the 2 way tap to the engine is 5/16"OD.....so what I'm asking is, is 1/4" OD pipe oil feed pipe from the oil tank to the pump and 1/4" OD pipe oil discharge to the sight glass the correct size or should they be 5/16"

wessex_man

How does your oiling system currently work ie what is the tank pump fitting? It appears to directly feed from the oil tank to either the oil regulator or rear chain , depending on where the tap is positioned. And from the pump to the engine.

The one below goes up to a sight glass where the drips can be seen, then to the engine. It encorperates a hand pump which can be used to pump oil directly from the oil tank to the engine bypassing the Best Lloyd pump.

Russ

ok chaps making up some new oil lines as per the attached photo so I have hit a small stumbling block what size are the connections to B&L mechanical pump as I've got 5/16" copper tube with 1/4" BSP Gland nuts and olive nipples for 5/16" copper tube which fits all other connections except the pump.....I've measured the old oil lines that connect to the pump such as they were and they measure 1/4" copper tube and I'm guessing the gland nut is 1/8" BSP with 1/4" Olive nipple for 1/4" tube....it would seem you cannot get an 1/8" BSP Gland nut fitting with a 5/16" Olive nipple for 5/16" tube unless you know different but I can't find one......in any case even if I changed the pump brass adaptor fittings to a reducer type 1/4" x 1/8" BSP fitting a 1/4" BSP Gland nut would foul the screw that fixes the pump to the casing so you wouldn't be able to do it up.......do the pump oil feed pipe have to be 1/4" OD seems terr[ibly thin

here's mine as it was piped up

oil lines.JPG

and here's how I want it to be be

3.JPG