Model 5 Short Stroke piston

Started by John Stanley, December 15, 2011, 07:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stanley

Thanks for the replies.  I pretty much have to have a custom piston made, as the bore is already about .040 over, and still needs to be cleaned up, so will be making a piston that is about .043 to .045 over.  I had mis-calculated before, thinking they were only about .030 over.  Really do not like the idea of cleeving a blind cylinder like this.

Does anyone know of any problems with these when bored around .040?

Picked up my new rear axel and drive side cone, and took them to Heat treatment yesterday.  Will be picking them up on Thursday, so on Friday the bike will be on both wheels, and will be able to make all the personal adjustments to the seat, pegs, handlebars and controls.  Also will be able to mount and align headlight.  The machinist I use has scheduled the first week in January to do my Crankpin and tappet guides, so hopefully will be able to have the lower end assembled and in the bike by the middle of January.

phutton

Hi John,

I totally endorse what Vic says. I suggest you contact our Spares Coordinator, Bruce Harrison, before you go ahead, as he can advise on both sales and supply. His contact details are brunanjac@supanet.com or +44 1902 884224.

Paul

VicYouel

Sadly there are only 20 or so members of this forum so do not expect much response. Have you considered looking for a close equivalent and then looking for new old stock?

Suggest you publish the piston dimensions first before going down this expensive route.

Vic

John Stanley

I am going to have a couple of pistons made for my 1926 model 5 short stroke.  Before I order them I thought I would see if anyone in the club would like to buy one.  It will certainly not be an exace duplicate, but will have the proper compression height, total height dome etc.  Mine will be an odd size because of an existing re-bore, but comtemplate having them made in .020 , or possibly .030 over.

Price is $227.00 USD per piston, with no pin or rings, but if I can do 4 the price will be $185.00.  I plan to source some rings from hastings prior to having the pistons made.  I will not profit from any sale, the offer it provide a service to anyone who needs one.  I will just be passing on the actual costs involved.

I am well into the final assembly of my bike and it is pretty much completed except for the engine which I am waiting for some parts on, including a crankpin I am having made.

Almost forgot, anyone want to buy a crankpin?  Am having one made by Baisley Hi-Performance a nationally known Harley Machine shop.  Dont know price, but he is making 2 since its easier to do 2 at once than make it over if the grinder makes an error.

John Stanley