Cracked rocker arm shaft

Started by Thomas, May 07, 2023, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

Well done for finding a solution Thomas..Something for us all to take note of..Thanks
John

Thomas

Unfortunately, there was no help from the club side for the cracked shaft. But I have found a very smart solution. Because the shaft is hardened one cannot weld it in a regular way. I found a laser welder closed by who did an excellent job. Here is the result.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Thomas

BTW: I know at least one fellow Beamer who also has cracked keyways in his rocker shaft. I asked Chris Fisher if can make them by reverse engineering using correct materials. With CAD it's a simple enough engineering task. Are there other club members interested in this?
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Thomas

Thanks, Paul, I've sent him a message. Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

phutton

Hi Thomas,

The overhead rockers are common to all 500 and 600cc models from 1932 to 1938, so there may be some in our Used Parts stock. Unfortunately, we are heavily involved in setting up a new store with racking, security etc and sorting out the new stock we acquired a few months ago. However, do get in touch with Paul Knight add add your requirements to his list.

PH

Thomas

Hi all,

The exhaust rocker arm shaft of my 1937 Model 9 cracked between its keyways and the keys are sheared off. I have no clue how to get spares. Can somebody help? Or is it possible to let the hardened shaft be welded in a skilled workshop? Can the shaft be detached from the arm and then machined in a lathe?

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)