Model 95L Gear selection woes

Started by MarkO, April 11, 2023, 10:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkO

To all Model 95L owners
When I first got my Model 95L back on the road, I was quite pleased with myself because I had managed to set up the gear selector mechanism so that it worked reasonably well (or so I thought).

Since then, I have struggled to get it set up to function reliably. All the essential components in the mechanism that contribute towards (supposedly) reliable selection seem to be in very good condition - the selector drum, the two vernier wheels, the splined shaft that one of the wheels sits on, the selector ratchet, the spring loaded plunger etc, are all apparently good.

I understand that the mechanism behaves slightly differently when the bike is running so a cold set-up that works well in the workshop may not behave the same way on the road. But whatever I do, there is always some problem. Upwards changes work, but downward changes are unreliable - and vice versa. Another strange quirk is that a setup that has predictable behaviour one week, will be totally different the next time I ride the bike.

Are there any pearls of wisdom out there? - is it even possible to get it to behave? On the odd occasions that I have had it working properly, the gearchange is excellent. It promises so much, but is short on delivery!

I have entered the bike for a local hill climb event at the end of April and I am worried that it might not go well!