1931 Model 9 front mudguard question

Started by Badgerman, February 21, 2023, 05:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phutton

I can't see from the photos, but if your M9 has a QD front wheel, which leaves the brake-plate in place when you remove it, then that is a 1932 model fork. If you would like to PM me with the frame and engine numbers and a photo of the timing side of the machine, I would be able to confirm that.

The mudguard stays for all models except M90, 80 and 95 are very thin, totally unlike what you photo shows. I agree with other correspondents that what you have is a front stand in place of the correct stays. Have a look at the catalogue pictures, and you will see what I mean.

Paul H

Thomas

If you have a mud flap then the stand is always below. This is shown in all catalogues from 1928 to 1938. Only racing machines are different. Your arrangement is wrong.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

singleminded

I've come across 1932 models registered in December 1931. My brother-in -law had a 9A like that.

oggers

It won't and I don't think it is a stand. I have recently been informed mine may well be 1931 registered but a 1932 model. Also many changes may have taken place since it left the factory! Having said that, I have seen other 1931 models with a similar arrangement.

singleminded

But how does the stand pivot down past the mud flap on the guard without removing the pivot bolts?

oggers

Mine is a 1931 model 9 and looks completely different to your sketch. Front and rear stays with a central support between the forks.DSCF3384.JPG 

Peter 100

Jamie
I had a similar question a few weeks back and got quite a few responses that might help you. If you look back a page for a topic called "front wheel stand" started by Peter 100 it might help.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Badgerman

Guys - the bike I have just purchased has a top and bottom mudguard support that looks original as in this photo but does not have the larger lower stay. Is this actually another mudguard support or does it serve another purpose? Some bikes seem to have it and some don't.

Thanks again
Jamie