Kick start cotter pin nut.

Started by Peter 100, January 03, 2023, 06:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter 100

Russ
Disaster I didn't know it should have a flap!! I will be on the lookout for one 😉

John
I bought a new kick start rubber from the club!!
Two things i needed sunglasses it is that white and also I couldn't get the old one off, so the dirty one has to stay 😁

Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

singleminded

I can see dirty marks on the kickstart rubber as well Tut Tut ::)

Russ

Quote from: Peter 100 on January 04, 2023, 03:39:21 PMPut the cotter in the other way round and everything looks OK.
Back to what Mr Marston would have liked 😁😁
Mr Marston would be happy about your kickstart cotter pin now but he wouldn't be happy with your clutch housing.....................................where's the flip lid off your clutch oiler cup.......LOL  8)

Peter 100

Put the cotter in the other way round and everything looks OK.
Back to what Mr Marston would have liked 😁😁
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

John
I have checked the parallel hole and you are correct it is the same both sides. I had it in my mind they were different sizes. The cotter goes in either side so i will now fit it the other way round.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

Thanks for the reply.
I will check mine to see if it has a parallel hole I thought it was different, and if so will try the pin in the other way.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

singleminded

It certainly looks correct. Usually the hole is parallel all the way through the kickstart, if you were able to reverse the cotter pin it would change the angle of the kickstart. From memory i think it would become more vertical, but yours looks the same as the 2 I have.

Peter 100

The picture is not very clear as I cannot seem to upload any files Greater than 100kb.
But anyway here is my kickstart Lever with the nut towards the rear.
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

singleminded

Peter 100

Hi to all
Here's a question, I have read in past issues of the Beaming about the kick starter cotter pin nut should always be towards the front of the bike. So if the kick start Lever has a big and small hole for the taper on the pin and the big hole is towards the front of the bike this means the nut faces the rear. You obviously cannot turn the kick Lever through 180 degrees.
Is it that my kick Lever is off another model??
Any thoughts
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙