Front wheel stand

Started by Peter 100, December 05, 2022, 11:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

The clip on my 9A either rusted off or broke at some time before i got it, never bothered me really.

Peter 100

Jamie
Some stands do clip underneath and some have a tang which comes through the apron (if you have one) and a bolt/screw is attached to secure it in place.
Sounds from what you say yours had a clip.
Pete
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Badgerman

Just reading this thread, bit late guys sorry. My bike has an original mudguard and is not fitted with a front stand but this may have been removed. looking at the mudguard, there are two holes in the rear of the guard and I guess this is where the stand clip should be bolted to?

Peter 100

Thomas, Rick and Paul
Again thanks to you all for helping me understand the workings of the front stand. It is most probably obvious to fellow owners but to a vintage bike virgin like myself very useful.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

Rick
Thanks for the reply.
Your explanation is great. I never thought of doing that what I was trying was putting it on the main stand kneeling down in front and pulling the stand towards the wheel, this is why it felt like it was about to pull off the rear stand.
Like you say pulling up and moving the stand with your foot makes sense.
I am currently painting the one I bought so will give it a try when it is sorted.
If i can lift it!! 🤔🤔👍
Many thanks
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Rick Parkington

Hi Peter,
The front stand doesn't work like the rear stand - it's not intended to be a convenient roll-on type thing because it is purely a prop for wheel removal, not parking.
You need to put the bike on the rear stand first and then and then physically lift the front wheel - I'd recommend a 'straight arm lift' from 12 o'clock on the wheel rim - while hooking the stand beneath with your foot. It takes a bit of practice to get the stand vertical so it supports the front end - not sure if there are stops or not, my '32 9A has a BSA (M21 I think) stand so it's not standard - but it still seems to  stay put off vertical at least enough to take a second bite at it. Obviously you need to watch it doesn't roll forwards of the front stand causing it to roll off the rear as well, mine seems stable enough not to do that but it's worth watching out for and I'd  also  recommend loosening the axle nut or other tight fasteners while still on the ground.
Cheers Rick   

Thomas

The geometry is fine. So, it must have something to do with your lifting technique.  ::) Try to apply some force towards the rear when lifting. It'll do.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Peter 100

Thomas
My bike when on the rear stand does look like your sketch so in theory it shouldn't pull off. I must not have the right technique yet but will keep trying.
Thanks
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Thomas

Ok, I now understand, Peter! If the rear stand goes only into vertical position it is indeed difficult to keep it there when lifting the front wheel. It should be more like indicated in red. Otherwise the bike would always tend to slip forward, even when not using the front stand.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Peter 100

Thomas
Thanks for the reply.
The rear wheel is off the ground and does not move up, it is the action of pulling the front wheel stand under the front wheel. This seems to want to pull the bike forwards thus pulling the bike off the rear stand.
Thanks
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Thomas

Your procedure is correct, Peter. But it is hard to imagine what happens in your case if you do not show a picture. How should the rear wheel lift when it's on the rear stand while you lift the fron wheel???
Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Peter 100

Hello to all
My front wheel stay/stand has arrived and it fits OK. Now back to my original question has anybody used these??
After putting bike on rear stand I dropped the front stand to the floor and tried to pull under the front wheel thus lifting wheel. I couldn't do it!!
Am I doing it correctly it felt the bike would pull off the rear stand as I was applying pressure.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

phutton

I don't think it will, Peter. Since the clip extends through the apron, it is unlikely that you would be able to access it to do up/undo the wing nut. Mark Baker (lawnranger210@btinternet.com) can supply the spring-and-plate type.

P.

Peter 100

Paul
Thanks for that mine has the apron on it.
So the one you refer to on the club site for £20 that would be suitable for the apron type?.
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

phutton

The front stand clip for your machine is common on all models from 1927 (and probably earlier as well) up to 1935. It is the flat plate & spring clip design. I agree that these do look a bit insecure but, set up correctly, they do work OK. If you have a flat blade mudguard, rather than one with a splash apron, you could consider using the Terry over-centre catch type as fitted to the rear mudguard. There is also the wing nut type, but the same restrictions may apply, see https://marston-sunbeam.org/sunbeam_shop17/index.php?id_product=693&rewrite=stand-clip&controller=product. It is not original, but looks the part.

P.

Peter 100

Cheers
Yes the bike was restored about 22 years ago the mudguards are replacements. Don't know where they were sourced from were they coming from India 22 years ago? They seem to be made from solid material same as the tank which I believe again is not original.
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Thomas

Well, according to the club website all Sunbeams had a front stand with a respective holder in the mudguard . If you have to drill it you will probably don't have an original mudguard, anyway. I would certainly then make a holder instead of taking the risk of a puncture in the middle of nowhere. I had it twice and since then I can repair a puncture on the road within an hour. But you will know what is best for you.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Peter 100

Thomas
I have bought a stand off ebay not yet arrived it might not even fit but it was not a lot.
My mudguard is in great condition so really didn't want to drill it for a fastener that is why I would maybe use the stand on a temporary basis, ie only at home.
Altough like you say it would be a problem if was to have a puncture!
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Thomas

Yes, Peter, I have one. If you want to lift it without a stand you could use a temporary one out of wood supporting both fork sides. Or you make one out of round steel. A good locksmith chould do it. If you want it permanently at the bike (which is important if you have a puncture) you need a connection to the mudguard. Such a mudguard is available at Ebay from India.
Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Peter 100

Thomas
Your answer makes sense.
The reason I ask is if I needed to remove front wheel I was wondering how to do it. I have bought one of ebay with the intention of attaching temporary to jack it up if needed and then removed after use.
Does your bike not have one?
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Thomas

Hi Peter,

I can not imagine how to lift the bike onto both stands at once. Even pulling onto the rear stand takes effort. I guess, you need to pull it onto the rear, then lift the front wheel and then take down the front stand.

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Peter 100

Hello to all
I have a model 9 1934 which does not have a front wheel stand.
My questions are if it did do you pull the bike on both stands at once or either front or back, most probably an obvious answer but I have never seen one in use.
Also what type of attachment is used to stop it dropping down the clip type seems a bit suspect typically over bumps as I have seen quite a few rear ones dropping down over bumps!!
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙