1937 model 8

Started by Chris Delaney, March 13, 2013, 10:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phutton

Best bet is to talk to Les Hobbs, MSC&R spares coordinator (leshobbs@uwclub.net or 01902 380006)

Anonymous

thanks Paul, I have just taken the anti wet sump big ball and spring out and I am getting flow to here when i turn engine over , but the spring seems very strong so i have run the engine without the ball and spring and the flow was much better, although it smoked a bit. I do not think this ball actually meters the oil supply but I think I am getting too much flow without it as there is no regulator in the supply pipe from the tank, so what i think I need is the correct spring and a regulator. Do you know if these are available? many thanks, Chris

phutton

H Chris,

It is quite normal for the return to the tank to be intermittent, as the return side capacity is greater than the supply side to keep the c/case clear of excess oil. You should check that you don't have an air-lock in the oil supply pipe from the tank to the pump. Just loosen the nut where the pipe goes into the timing case and see if oil comes out. If it does, then that is OK. If you have an oil pressure gauge fitted, it should read 40psi + when the engine is cold, and 15-30 when hot. If you are getting that sort of reading, your pump is probably OK. Finally, if you are still not happy, check the three strainers: one on the supply side of the oil tank, one at the front of the timing chest behind the connection and one where the return pipe leaves the c/case.

All this is quite well described in the 1938 Manual - a good investment of £4 to the Club if you haven't got one!

Regards

Paul

Chris Delaney

Hello , I am a very new member, having just got my Model 8 finished and on the road. I have been concerned about the oil return and today after 6miles  on its maiden run it seized. It freed off quickly and I was able to ride home with no apparant affect in terms of feel or noise. It does wet sump and pumps back vigorously when started but the return becomes almost nothing but an occasional spit once it has pumped the sump out and I am wondering what to investigate first. It has no oil metering valve on the inlet pipe, just straight from the tank. The head was rebuilt by Chris Odling and the exhaust valve feed was blocked off by Chris and oil does seem to be getting up there. It is a series 2 engine. Could the timing side bush have turned and be preventing oil from being fed to the big end and hence the bore? I would really appreciate any advice. Many thanks, Chris