Exhaust System of my Sunbeam 9A 1932

Started by klaudius, May 16, 2020, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VicYouel

Fish tails used  to be available from the person who used  to make our rear club chain guards..... sadly no longer in  thes world but I understand the patterns/moulds are still in his locked up work shop. I sold my last set of fishtails to a local member now fitted to a model 9 I restored some years ago.

I think klaudius's project is really interesting.
Vic

klaudius

Hi. The fish tails are original. Once had the opportunity to buy them. The seals on the head are also original. My Sunbeam has only driven 16800 km since the new 1932. Was very well hidden by the Nazis. After the Kreig came a 2 stroke car and the Sunbeam was allowed to stay. Many motorcycles were scraped at that time ... a sad time. Claudius

phutton

Hi Klaudius,

Are the gaskets the one supplied by the Club? I'm not aware of any thinner ones, but is there a near-size thin metric one available?

I do like the fishtails - where did you source then from? We do get asked for them occasionally!

P.

klaudius

Hello, I decided to save my exhaust system of my Sunbeam 9A 1932 completely. It was a time job ... until everything was tension-free and properly fastened. As an adjustment I used a spare frame and spare motor (empty inside). So far so good. My question is about the gaskets of the head. In the original (photo) they are a bit thick, so that almost 2 windings of the head are usually free. I would have loved to use the threads completely. Are there any copper-coated cardboard seals available anywhere? The rounds don't fit well, even when squeezed.
Thank you Claudius