Crankpin Available

Started by John Stanley, March 25, 2012, 09:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stanley

Just in case anyone is interested, I did get a new crankpin made for my 1926 Model 5 short stroke.  Once set up in the computer, it cost no more to have a couple of extras made, plus a spare was needed in case of a goof up during the final precision grinding.  The tapers were ground exactly as the original pin, so fitting the pin to the flywheels was exactly as described in the manual.  The roller track is slightly oversize to allow for honing the original outer race.  My best measurements are: Roller track .868, width of roller track 1.007, small end of taper .7515 large end of taper .755 (as close as i can get to the end with a micrometer) width inside of threads 2.154 and overall width 3.002.  Might be part number 3808, but not sure as I only have a 1927 parts book and a 1922 parts book, and mine is a 1926.  Have put on US E-bay and have priced at 1/3 of my total cost.

Pin was heat treated, carburized (with threads masked) and precision ground

Also had a new innder axel made (split type) with no spare.  

My machine shop spent a day and a half making a fixture for re-grinding the cam follower rockers.  They were welded up with stellite, then reground and look perfect.  If anyone needs their rockers reground this service would be abailable for a lot less than the $500.00 that I had to pay since the fixture was most of the cost.

Happy Riding
John Stanley