Kickstart Mechanism

Started by Andy Cubin, September 08, 2016, 10:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Cubin

Instantaneous results! You're not kidding Singleminded!

Success with the clutch and kickstart.

Nearly there...

singleminded

Yes..Obviously in a well ventilated area (concerned fairy rules'elfin safety'). Just let them air for a bit till dry and reassemble, if all that is needed is cleaning then the results are instantaneous.  John

Andy Cubin

Thanks Single,

Just to be sure - can I do this using petrol on both the cork discs and the pressure plates?

Cheers

Andy

singleminded

Try washing it in petrol or any good solvent you have to hand..NOT PARRAFIN or DIESEL

Andy Cubin

I have had the most satisfying day taking her to bits and partially putting her back together again.
(watch out for the film - did most of it with a single oily eyebrow!)

My dumb question of the day is:

How do you clean a clutch plate?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Andy Cubin

Singleminde

Porridgy it is!  Great input from you with my thanks.

Off to the garage...

Andy

VicYouel

Good job there are other correspondents on this forum to correct me!! I do hate refitting that chain link though!
Vic

singleminded

You don't have to remove the engine sprocket as Graham has already said, just pop the spring off the link and remove the link. Removing the clutch nut might be a bit tricky.
I don't like putting anything in the spokes to stop the rear wheel turning. You should be able to get the nut undone by putting the bike into TOP gear(less mechanical advantage needed to stop the back wheel turning) and hold the brake on whilst undo-ing the nut..Should do the job if you really need to remove the clutch centre.
When you get the intermittent slip, is it like a ratchet letting go or just a poridgy feel to the kick start as it goes down? It often feels like you only get half a kick. If it is just poridgy then it is most likely adjustment, worn plates or the plates need cleaning..If it's cleaning you can just kick the bike over a few times and you will feel the difference, the same if it is just adjustment..Before fitting everything back together operate the clutch lever and kick the bike over gently and look at the outer clutch plate, if the springs are adjusted evenly the the outer plate will turn without any or very little wobble. Adjust the springs if necessary to get the plate to run as evenly as possible. John

shorrog

Andy
On the club website http://marston-sunbeam.org/technicalNotes/Model9GearboxStrip.html I have posted a series of photos showing the strip down of a gearbox on a 1930 model 9. The photos include the strip down of the clutch, the kickstart mechanism and the crankshaft sprocket.

If you have removed the kickstart the kickstart spring should just pull out, sometimes it can be tight in the tube.
After you have dismantled the clutch and removed the clutch center hub the kickstart gear quadrant and shaft can be pulled out from the primary chaincase side.

You mention slipping when you kick over, I guess this is one of two things either its simply the clutch slipping or although not strictly slipping wear on the kickstart quadrant causing the gears to not mesh properly.

If the clutch is slipping then it may require just cleaning or if worn re-corking or lining together with new springs. If its wear on the gear then that is much more tricky and may require some serious repair to the gear quadrant.

Finally I don't believe you have to remove the engine sprocket if you just want to work on the clutch.
Graham

Andy Cubin

Thanks Vic,

thought as much - I'll get on it tomorrow!

Cheers

Andy

VicYouel

Andy,
To access the kick start mechanism you will need to remove the whole drive side including clutch. Special puller probably necessary to remove engine sprocket. That will be excellent experience for you and more videos

Enjoy
Vic

Andy Cubin

Hi again folks,

Sunbeam Model 8 - '33.

I want to get to the bottom of the regular slipping when I kick down so fancy stripping down the kickstart mechanism.

Anyone done this?

I can get the kickstart pedal off but the spring seems attached.  How do I remove the shaft to check for wear and realigning the quadrant. 

I have now started to develop a "feel" and sense that something is amiss.  Wear and tear would be a tangible issue, so I need to take it apart.

All banter welcome.

Cheers

Andy