Cam shaft bushes

Started by ChrisF, April 16, 2016, 06:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisF

Thanks for the replies, your info' is appreciated.
  Chris F

wessex_man

Hi I would expect a similar 'top hat' bronze bush to those in the timing cover. They also usually have an oil way cut in them to lubricate the cam spindles. they all use the same principle from what I've seen. If it were me I'd remake the bushes so that the cams do not hit the fly wheels but meshed correctly with the timing gear. Then I would remake the bushes in the cover so that the cams run smoothly without any play with the timing cover secured to the crankcases.

singleminded

Could the bushes have been installed from the wrong side? ie lip on the inside

VicYouel

Just checked a couple of outers and a crankcase.... all 1934/5 model 9 stuff and the lips of the bushes on both sides are in the cam chamber; never seen any shims in any of mine and without checking I don't think any are specified in the parts lists.

So it is possible the engine side bushes are incorrect......

Vic

ChrisF

I am trying to restore a 1935 Model 8. The bottom end was completed by the previous owner & looks pretty good. When I put the cam gears in the bushes however they both touch the fly wheel! The cams are marked 7603a & 7604a which according to the excellent article in the recent 'Beaming' are the correct cams. I have attached a couple of photos of the bushes. The bushes engine side are flush with the crankcase and the bushes on the engine cover protrude. Should this be the opposite way around? Should the bushes on the engine side protrude & the cover side be flush,as I'm sure this would cure the problem? Should there be shims on these cams?