Rear Number Plate

Started by Jim Barbour, November 27, 2015, 10:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

That plate looks very similar to mine with a pressed rim although the hole for the lamp is much smaller - it's retained by a screw-on sleeve at the back. Again, no idea whether the lamp is original but judging by the quality it probably is (solid brass construction, bakelite sleeve inside the bulb holder etc).

shorrog

Hi Not sure if this adds much to the previous posts, but as I was just in the process of tiding up my number plate from a 1930 Model 9 I thought I would post a couple of photos. The plate looks like a pressed tin part and is 35 thou thick. The mounting bracket is stronger and 75 though thick.

I think it would be quite difficult to make a plate like the pressed tin version and in fact I made up a new one from a piece of flat aluminium that I had in the workshop just in case I could not get the original looking half decent.

wessex_man

Suggest you invest in 'The Illustrated History of Sunbeam' There are a number of these on Ebay at the moment at around £5 for example No 391328354088.  There are good period pictures of factory pictures of the bikes. Page 78 shows a picture of a 1930 model 6 and page 79  the re-named 1931 lion. You can just make out which plate is fitted to which. 

Also of interest  is factory photo UK 9266 a model 10 on page 81 and pictures of the engine page 80

I am not copying them as I guess copyright would be an issue.

iansoady

That first picture with the simple flat strip is similar to the one fitted to my 1931 Model 10 although who knows whether that is original.

wessex_man

Hi are you sure that the 1930 model had that style of number plate? I thought it was a flat plate attached to a strengthening rib. Think the change to the one you have pictured was late 1931 early 1932. It also coincides with the change from Druid to 1st Webb type and Webb dogleg type forks.

Jim Barbour

Thanks for the speedy response Vic, the last bit of tinwork! I will contact Les and see if there are any to be had before I start bashing more metal.

VicYouel

See picture..... I think ourclub has a stock of these number plates.

Jim Barbour

Hi, I need to create a rear number plate for my 1930 Model 6 and unsurprisingly this is not the most photographed part of the bikes! Can anyone provide a photograph for one that includes the standard rear light please?
Cheers.