Valves and Guides

Started by Russ, December 15, 2022, 03:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Quote from: phutton on December 16, 2022, 06:01:23 PMThe problem with the tulip valves is that the taper from the stem into the head starts much further up the stem than on the standard valves, hence the need to put a taper into the end of the guide if tulip valves are fitted.

The actual stem diameter is unchanged.
P.
so no need for any machining of the guides for the valves you'll be stocking / supplying (other than the usual honing to correct stem to guide clearance) and the guides are Meehanite and not SG Iron......will these Valve guides need to be hardened

phutton

The problem with the tulip valves is that the taper from the stem into the head starts much further up the stem than on the standard valves, hence the need to put a taper into the end of the guide if tulip valves are fitted.

The actual stem diameter is unchanged.
P.

Russ

on my other thread...piston / Bore.......does that mean the batch of NOS valve guides you've sourced are for Tulip stem valves meaning the taper needs reaming out to +005" to fit the new Valve stem size of 0.371"/0.375".......I didn't realise the original Valve stems and guides were tapered until my machinist mentioned that the old guides would more than likely have a taper towards the end....always learning

Russ

Quote from: phutton on December 16, 2022, 11:43:46 AMOHV and SV valves are all on order for the Shop. Should be available end January.
p.

thanks Paul.....so I'll be able to get Valves and guides in the new year phew! that's saved a lot of phaffing about believe you me I know what a PITA it was sorting my '29 Norton with new valves what about Valve springs....thought I'd ask.....ah and what about pistons? are these likely to be re-stocked seems like there's a need for them......a standard 6.5:1 =060" for me please......LOL.....you'll be making a fortune out of me......hahaha

phutton

OHV and SV valves are all on order for the Shop. Should be available end January.
p.

Russ

Quote from: singleminded on December 15, 2022, 04:23:43 PMhttps://www.sunbeamland.com/partslist/
hey thanks for that......I'm working my way through that was being a lazy and thought someone might have already been through the same process and already come up with some possible alternative fitments.....looks like I'm that someone else....I'll also be working my way through the G&S Valves back catalogue looking for alternatives if they exist

Russ

can anyone tell me are 1927 model 9 valves & Guides the same as later year model 9 machines......cheers