Decompressor/exhaust valve lifter

Started by oggers, October 31, 2022, 03:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

Just slacken the nut a turn or so and tap theend of the shaft is should release it, try not to damage the thread though.

oggers

Yes, it does seem as if lever has gone vertical and won't return under the lip or ear of the exhaust cam - I think that is how it works. I have indeed tried rotating the engine - and thus the exhaust valve as you say - no joy. The next move may well be to remove the arm and rotate the shaft of the valve lifer, but that arm is very firm on the shaft! 

singleminded

I'm guessing that the inside part of the decompressor lever has gone vertical and won't go back under the valve lifter. You could try getting the valve fully open to see if it will rotate back to where it should be or try removing the outside arm by undoing the nut and then see if the shaft will rotate anti clockwise till it is back under the valve lifter and refit the  external arm..You can see the arm in the picture.

Thomas

1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

oggers

Gents

Dumb question perhaps so apologies. I removed the cable at the lever end of the decompression/exhaust valve lifter, but the lever now refuses to return to the correct position of arond 6 o clock. It remains at around 3 o clock - horizontal. It now does not want to go past 3 o'clock depsite me turning the engine I did not pull the lever off, though I did rotate the shaft and lever in order to pull the cable off.

How do I return the lever to its correct downwards/6 o'clock position please.