Model 9

Started by Cees van Rhijn, October 23, 2022, 09:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cees van Rhijn

Hello Rick
Yes thanks for this explanation. It is an interesting project. I drive even an Sunbeam S8 and an Norton ES 2. There is documentation no problem.

Rick Parkington

H again Cees,
The workshop manual is a relatively new thing. Back in the day because the bikes were relatively simple, most riders relied on general repair books like 'the MotorCycling Manual' or 'MotorCycles and How to Manage Them' which were published annually by the two major UK bike publications. Things like torque settings didn't exist, almost all bikes were timed to 'full retard at TDC' and carb settings were based on engine size and 'sports or touring' more than make and model. 
I thought the same as you until I understood this - we have been born into a much more precise world but things were not like that then. I find the Leslie Heathcote Pitman 'Book of the Sunbeam' is pretty good - not sure if that's what you mean by 'Book of the Sunbeam 1928-39' but I guess what I'm saying is that although originally I thought there must be some book, somewhere that had all the detailed answers, in fact there isn't - but I slowly realised that if I couldn't find the answer to my question in the Pitman book, it simply meant it didn't matter and I should just use my common sense and experience! It worked for me and I hope that although this is not much of an answer it will work for you too, but at least there's the backup of forums like this to help!
Cheers Rick 

phutton

Cees van Rhijn

Hello Thomas
Thanks for the infomation. I downloaded the files.

Thomas

Hi Cees,

it depends what you are looking for. If you need manuals you won't find them in the book market. I had that problem for overhauling the motor and the rocker box of my 1937 Model 9. I fear there is not too much you can do unless writing your own handbook for a specific task. I did that while having a lot of detective work. Maybe they help a bit:
https://www.marston-sunbeam.org/technicalNotes/model9EngineRebuild.html
https://www.marston-sunbeam.org/technicalNotes/1937Model9RockerBox&Arms.html

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Cees van Rhijn

Hello:
My name is Cees van Rhijn (Dutch) I am looking for information specific for the Model 9 Sunbeam Year 1936. Can some one tell me what kind of book in the library is the best for it.
I have allready "The Sunbeam Motorcycle" from Champ but thats to general. Even "The Book of the Sunbeam 1928-1939":is not very specific.