Sunbeam production figures

Started by Sigarus, February 21, 2022, 03:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter 100

Graham
Thanks I will have a dig in the archives.
I was just interested to see what numbers of various models are out there.
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

shorrog

Hi Peter
Sorry about that I should have been more specific. The Model Year Matrix was published in the winter editions 2014-2015, 2016-17 and 2018.
If you use the LIVE Publications:- Beaming Digest and type Matrix in the search box it will give you the publication and the page number.
If you dont have the magazine I can photocopy and paste here.
Graham

Peter 100

Graham (shorrog)
On reading your reply about sunbeam numbers you mention some figures from the winter copy of Beaming is that this year's edition 2022 as I cannot find anything in it.
Also the model and year matrix compiled by the club I have found one on line it is dated 2017 is this the correct one.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

phutton

The most reliable way of assessing production volume per model is via engine numbers. In some years, the frames were identical across several models, and used the same number register. We do have definite figures for 1914, since these were recorded in a management notebook in Sept 1914.

"In the year 1st Sept 1913 to 31st August 1914, we produced 185 2 3/4 HP, 636 3 1/2 HP and 391 V-twins"

I wish we had similar information for other years!

P.

shorrog

Hi Claudis
Thats excellent, if you drop an email to the membership secretary register.mscr@gmail.com
Ken can add them to the list.
Graham

klaudius

I have a list from early to 1930. I also have a 7A 9A both 1932.
I would have liked to enter them in the club list, but how?
greetings
Claudius

shorrog

No these are nothing like correct. I think Robert Cordon Champ's book can give you a much better idea of numbers. Also the Model and Year Matrix list that the membership secretary Ken compiles of known surviving sunbeams is worth looking at.  The one published in the  Winter edition of Beaming lists a total of 1898 surviving machines. It also states that there were something approaching 50,000 produced in total.
Graham

Sigarus

I cam across a table of Sunbeam production figures on this site: https://motos-of-war.ru/en/motorcycles/sunbeam-9a/. Does anyone here know if they are correct, based on factory records? There is no information on the Russian site about the source of the data and some of the numbers seem very low.