Sloppy mag fixings to mag platform

Started by max, June 23, 2015, 09:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VicYouel

Jim,

On my 1932/4 models the drive side are simply studs and the rear are threaded studs..... I and others share your frustration!!  Two studs are specified in the parts list. From '33 they droped the engine yielding a little more room to get the nuts started (note tha the tool kit specifies a bent spanner to access the nuts)

Rotten design...... I have managed to replace one of the front posts with a 3/8 whitworth bolt.

Would be worth having the magneto refurbished because the recent loosening may well have disturbed the paper insulating washer inside the magneto bearing housing.

I totally recommend Paul Lydford in Shaftesbury for a quality and economical job.

Good luck
Vic

max

Hi All,

After a recent trip of about 50 miles on my 36 model 9 I noticed that the magneto was moving via engine vibration. I immediately inspected the fixings once it was cool enough to touch at home and am struggling to nip up the play as access to the bolts/ studs is ridiculous! I've stripped the mag drive casings, chain, sprockets/ oil pump housing, oil pipes etc to gain better access, but what a nightmare of a job to get at! A serious oversight by the designer in my opinion during conception. I guess that the original idea was to fit the mag with the engine out?

Anyway I haven't yet removed the mag, but suspect that the forward fixings are studs that allow movement for adjustment and that the rear items are meant to secure it rigidly.  I'm tempted to remove, and if the forward studs are free moving, remove and fit a stud / bolt to secure the mag to my required standard. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas on improving this?

Jim