1936 Model 8 valve clearance

Started by davrobgee, June 01, 2015, 11:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davrobgee

Quote from: davrobgee on June 02, 2015, 09:17:24 PM
Thanks for reply Vic. Valve clatter is very noticeable with the larger clearance! but i feel more comfortable with that. I will try to measure the difference in clearance between hot and cold when i have the opportunity and report back.
[/quote

Having set clearance to 0.004" inlet and 0.010" exhaust, i went for an 8 mile run and measured the clearance while still hot. Result was Inlet 0.006" and exhaust 0.016"!!! Perhaps the "tappet clearance should be as near as possible to nil" as recommended in the 1936 Driving & Adjustment Instructions is correct after all?

phutton

According to the 1936 Manual, the valve clearances are set cold, inlet 0.004 and exhaust 0.010.

P.

davrobgee

Thanks for reply Vic. Valve clatter is very noticeable with the larger clearance! but i feel more comfortable with that. I will try to measure the difference in clearance between hot and cold when i have the opportunity and report back.

VicYouel

My book authored by Heathcote in the Pitman's series (1936 edition) specifies a cigarette paper clearance on the inlet 10 though for the exhaust on ohv models and 12 thou foo the model 90.

In practice on my model 9, I set the inlet to a just perceptable clearance. For the exhaust even at 12 thou the gap tends to close up quite quickly when warm.

Would be interested to hear from others.

Vic

davrobgee

Valve clearance given in the 1936 "Driving & adjustment instructions" is "as near as possible to nil when cold" but the article in The Motor Cycle, May 1936 give the clearance as Inlet 0.004"/ Exhaust 0.008" to 0.010".Can anybody give their experience as to which may be correct? Many thanks, David Gee.