Valve Guides

Started by shorrog, March 12, 2015, 01:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorrog

Just a quick note folks to say thanks for the help. I will keep you posted as to how it runs with the home made guides.
Graham

singleminded

I made my guides based on the originals in the head from Meehanite.
I used AJS valves and collets and made new top collars to suit the height and travel of the valve so that the springs would not get coil bound. All seems to OK so far.John

wessex_man

Got to admit the original new parts are getting harder and harder to find these days so in many cases you have to learn to adapt to get things running properly. Hence why you had non standard guides in your head I guess. Non available at the time adapt something else.

The Vintage Motorcyclists Workshop by Radco (now in reprint) has been invaluable to breathe life into many machines. A reasonable workshop, including a lathe, has become a necessity when undertaking rebuilds. To make that odd new bolt or wigit.

There is an extensive chapter on the top half of the engine which enlightens you how to select and modify valves , guides and make your own cotters etc. using suitable materials.

The book contains much much more which importantly works and gets your bike running! Money well spent. It will save you many hours of head scratching and expense.

VicYouel

Les Hobbs tells me he is hammering on Alpha's door to get those 10 degree tapered collets.

Vic

shorrog

Hi guys
Thanks for the responses, I have now made up some guides from cast iron and fitted into the head. However it turned out that the guides and valves in the head were not original and although I have some new valves from the club I can't yet fit them as I have no collets that will fit.
So I shall just use the home made guides and old valves as a temporary measure until I can get the new valves fitted together with some original patten guides that vic kindly made available.

Graham

wessex_man

Yes you can make some based on the old ones from cast iron. or modify suitable other guides to suit. I'd avoid making any bronze based alloy guides, unless you intend to feed oil to them, cast is self lubricating. I put some graphite based grease up top as well.

I guess from the condition of the guides the valves are worn as well and need replacing?

Davetom

Hartills in Bilston did mine a few weeks back for my Longstroke. They cleaned the valve stems up just enough to true them, then made the guides to suit.About £150 fitted, but I haven't got the skills or facilities to do it myself, so I was happy to pay for a good job

singleminded

I used Mehanite (cast iron) when I made mine..Colphos, a form of bronze, can also be used..John

shorrog

Hi folks, I dont suppose anyone ones of a supplier of valve guides for my 1930 model 9, mine are completely shot.

Alternatively I might be able to make some but any idea of what material I should use?
Thanks in anticipation
Graham