clutch/kickstart assembly

Started by Jim Barbour, January 04, 2015, 11:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wessex_man

The keys are tapered. The tapered end points to the gearbox.  If you look on the gearbox main shaft you will see the taper they fit into.

The length depends on whether you have a six spring or single spring clutch.

Judging by your kickstart quadrant I guess a six spring?  To be sure of length of key put your clutch center on the shaft and align the slots. Put one of your original keys in. You can then determine the correct length for your set up. The keys should not protrude but be flush.     

New ones can be cut and fettled from keysteel. The metal needs to be tough enough to withstand the shock but not to hard to break. Its common (like yours) that you get broken keys and have to replace them. Also note that the whole of the drive relies on them.

The clutch center is secured buy a nut on the gearbox main shaft. Make sure you fit a thin oversize diameter (tab) washer to this. When tight hit the tab so it is on one of the nuts sides. This stops it coming undone and the clutch not working properly. Its a bit neat but works.

As already said the sacrificial spring loaded kickstart paw helps engagement. It can be replaced when worn saving the other teeth. Earlier models didn't have this and can get beat up. Vic's spacer drawing looks good from one I've measured from a project I have.

Hope this helps
WM

VicYouel

I agree with John...... none of my bikes have them although I imagine Chris Odling can repair and fit one.

See my awful sketch of the spacer used on my 1932/5 models 9's

Cheers

Vic

singleminded

The part missing from the quadrant is a 'loose tooth' .It is supposed to be sprung loaded to help engagement of the quadrant to the ratchet..I have never had one on my bike and it hasn't caused any problems..John

Jim Barbour

Hi, and a Happy New Year to all,

I am now re-assembling the engine ancilliaries and have a couple of questions:-

Is there supposed to be a spacer on the footrest shaft behind the chaincase?

What is missing from the end of my kickstart quadrant, maybe a cotter pin?

Apart from being in bits, my clutch retaining keys have tapered ends. Is this correct and does anyone know what length they should be ?

I attach a couple of photos.

Thanks, Jim