Best Oil and lubes

Started by Andy Cubin, November 03, 2015, 09:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VicYouel

Basically I agree that 20/50 is probably best but I tend to use a straight 40. 

Don't forget to  retard the ignition a little.... try it with and without the choke before doing any fuel tickling!

Bon chance

iansoady

Not an oil thread........

FWIW I have used 20w/50 in all my "classic" bikes although I know that some believe that monogrades are superior. My reasoning is that the multigrade is equivalent to the straight 50 at normal running temperature, but gets to where it's needed faster when cold. There is a theory that the long chain molecules that give the multigrade its properties are "chopped up" by roller and ball bearings but given regular oil changes I can't see that as a problem. What is definitely true is that any modern oil is light years ahead of the stuff available when our bikes were new.

There's a good article here: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/oil030319.html by someone who should have known......

WRT the rear chain I use an aerosol - Silkolene seems a good one. Again, better than boiling in a tin and spilling it all over the kitchen floor.

Good luck with starting.

Andy Cubin

Morning all,

Sorry for being the dunce in the corner, but today I am researching oils and lubes or their modern equivalents.

1932 Model 8 - the book says Castrol XL/XXL, Mobil Oil D or Aeroshell - these work for the front chain case as well (although I haven't sussed out whether my 8 has one of these yet - it does not have a little oil bath).  Google says use 20/50, but perhaps someone here knows different?

For the exposed chain, the book says Castrolease Light, Mobiloil Grease 2, Shell Motor Grease Soft - Will standard chain cleaner and chain lubricant spray suffice instead?  Would indeed 3-in-1 oil work on the chain?

Any advice gratefully received.

Will hopefully be attempting an engine start this afternoon....

Andy