Oil Control Rings

Started by beaumy, May 30, 2019, 09:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaumy

Thanks Rick, that really is a very helpful answer to my question and I shall remove the ring as you have suggested.

The good thing about the piston that I have used is that it was intended for a 1600 beetle engine which, as you are probably aware, is also an aircooled engine, albeit a forced air system which will be more efficient than the normal motorcycle set up.

I also had to buy a set of 4 which means that I  have 3 spare just in case!

Thanks again,

Pete

Rick Parkington

Hi Pete,
In my opinion and experience, yes, I would do away with the oil control ring. I've had no problem doing this with vintage engines. As you say total loss engines are expected to burn oil and over efficient oil control will just encourage build up and greater leakage. The empty ring groove gradually fills up with carbon over time.
It is always a bit tricky using modern pistons anyway, designed for water cooled engines the expansion rates aren't necessarily ideal for hot old iron sidevalves so you want plenty of oil around there!
cheers Rick 

beaumy

Hello Everyone,

The 1920 3 1/2hp is now up and running and goes like a good 'un.
It is currently fitted with an 85.5mm VW Mahle piston in a freshly honed bore.

This set up is never going to let any oil past the rings to find it's way into the exhaust regardless of how much oil I pump into the crankcase.

I have never seen an original piston but would it have been fitted with an oil control ring?

Should I remove the oil control ring from the VW piston to allow the oil to be 'lost' and constantly replenished by the Best and Lloyd pump?

All comments gratefully received.

Pete