Oil change

Started by Thomas, February 17, 2019, 04:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Tnak you, Claudius! A recommendation for text translations: https://www.deepl.com/translator
A great tool and better than Google Translate.
Cheerio, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

klaudius

Hello. I change the oil every 500 miles. Change warm with return opening. Oil (50) is cheap and the job done quickly. Transmission Oil (140) 1xYear. Have everywhere small mini supermagnete installed screwed in the drain. The old lady thanks with no sludge, good oil pressure and perfect lauf. Gabel gets öffter his fat. Have aledings the lubricating exchange with ball head exchanged. The originals are there. Hubs once a year very sparingly until something leaks out. I use truck fat without graphite. Even then, manufacturers gave little to wear before his machines and gave large lubricating inventories. Halving them safely increases the lifespan of our treasures. Please excuse my english. Claudius

Rick Parkington

I'd agree with Kbryt, Thomas. Mileage wise, though, I would suggest changing every 1000 miles. Older bikes tend to burn oil more than later models which pollutes the oil with carbon, turning it black. Regular changing helps prevent this tending to build up as sludge in the engine and oil tank.
Archie Beggs advocates draining the hot oil whenever you ride the bike (assuming it's occasional not daily, I guess!) as then the dirt settles out in the bottom of the container and you can pour clean oil back into the tank.leaving the sludge behind. That's a really good idea but I would still change every 1000 (or 1500 at the most) because the oil takes a pounding in these hot running roller bearing engines.
Cheers Rick   

kbryt

Change it when and as you see fit or can afford it.

I used to use 50 grade in summer, 40 in winter when I rode daily. I changed it with the seasons
That was about it.

In reality for things like that, the information given in the manual  in 1937 or when ever is now obselete.  Same with the recommendations to decoke every 1000 miles or dismantling forks to grease headraces or hubs to grease wheel bearings every couple 1000miles.

Of course with a total loss system I don't need to bother. ;D

Thomas

Either I'm blind or stupid (probably both) but I can't find the oil change intervals in the manual. Any idea?
Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)