Rear Mudguard Hinge for '32 Lion

Started by AndyB, July 10, 2019, 08:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyB

VicYouel

Unfortunately the person who made our rear number plates left this world last year! I still have one left as a pattern if anybody can identify a good supplier.

singleminded

Yes, my original mudguard has 3 large flatish head rivets for each hinge half..It looks like the slot in the mudguard stops the hinge pin from coming out.

AndyB

I've decided that the 'well patinated' rear section of the mudguard needs to be replaced, so it's now with Simon Stephens at Redditch. Also, the numberplate was incorrect so I'm looking for a replacement - the Sunbeam Shop is out of stock.
My mudguard hinge had previously been replaced as it was bolted to the rear section - I suspected it should be riveted.

singleminded

Well done..
Did you re rivet the hinge?. If so did you find a rivet that looks like the original, and where.

AndyB

I've made up a suitable half hinge which seems to work well.
:)

AndyB

The hinge has snapped across the pivot point.

singleminded

Has the hinge broken or is the pin just worn through

AndyB

Thank you for the pics.
The reason for needing one is that mine decided to break yesterday, and the whole back end of the mudguard with number plate and tail light dropped into the road - fortunately it wasn't crushed by the car following close behind, but not exactly undamaged either. Rear stand is a little worse for wear also.
So I do have a pattern.
AndyB

singleminded

I can't help with where to get one..I think you will have to get one made.
Maybe the photos will help..this is off my 1932 9A

AndyB

Wanted as per heading - does anyone know where I can get one please?
Thanks
AndyB