footrest dimensions early 20's, 3 positions type

Started by Winold, January 12, 2021, 02:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorrog

Quote from: Hot Tuna on January 18, 2021, 06:27:50 PM
Hi Winold
The peg hole on the engine plates is for two types of footpegs
The ones as shown in the parts list where the hanger has three holes drilled in to take the peg and give three different positions and were primarily for early racing longstrokes
The other type has a removable segmented piece with a hole drilled in it to take a one piece peg from side to side as used on the later bikes ie Parallels
If you want dimensions or photos please email or phone me.
My details are in the front of the mag or on web site under East Anglian events
Frank Mace

Frank this sounds very useful, if you could take some photos and dimensions I can produce a CAD model that we could make available.
Graham

Hot Tuna

Hi Winold
The peg hole on the engine plates is for two types of footpegs
The ones as shown in the parts list where the hanger has three holes drilled in to take the peg and give three different positions and were primarily for early racing longstrokes
The other type has a removable segmented piece with a hole drilled in it to take a one piece peg from side to side as used on the later bikes ie Parallels
If you want dimensions or photos please email or phone me.
My details are in the front of the mag or on web site under East Anglian events
Frank Mace

Winold

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply and the beautiful drawing. I looked through all the parts lists I have to see if there would be an example so it is clearer what type of footrest I'm looking for. I found a drawing in the 3,5hp spare parts list for 1914-1921. I added a photo of the drawing and drew a red circle around it. It is part number 35261. The online database of all parts lists ( https://www.sunbeamland.com/partslist/ ) says it was used on the 3 1/2 sport, the 3 1/2 standard (1914-1921) and the 3 1/2 touring (1922)

I am certain it does not have a serrated connection to the engine plates. It only has 3 possible positions. The mounting plate from the footrest to the engine plates is an oval plate and there should be 3 holes in it, allowing for the 3 positions. They are made of malleable cast iron / SG.

Thanks again! Cheers Winold

shorrog

This is an image of the model I have for a footrest but it is for a later model Although there does appear to be similarities with the photo you posted particularly the serrated washer.
I have a 1925 Model 5 do you think that the footrest would be similar to the one you are looking for. If so I can get some dimensions and photos.

shorrog

Apologies I should have read your post more carefully. I do have a CAD model of a footrest assembly, I will check it out.
Graham

Winold

Hi Graham,

The engine plates I already have acquired from the clubs web shop, thanks for that. It is the footrest dimensions I'm looking for, that go with these engine plates. Proper photos of the footrests would help as well. I've never had a good look at them to know what to make.

Thanks, kind regards Winold

shorrog

Hi Winold the photo of the engine plate is the one I produced by CAD. The part on the shop has a PDF of the design (click on attachments). The PDF is an accurate drawing of the engine plate if you print off 1:1 you should get an accurate template.
I have attached it here as well.

I believe left and right are the same.

This is the plate on the shop https://marston-sunbeam.org/sunbeam_shop17/engine-plates/597-rear-engine-plate-n34374.html

If you need any more specific dimensions, let me know.
Graham

Winold

Hello all,

Can anyone help with dimensions of a set of footrests from the early 20's? I'm not sure which model(s) this type of footrests belong to. I only have these two photos. I do know it has just 3 positions with a peg sticking out from the engine plate mount and there's 3 holes in the footrest casting, allowing for the 3 positions. And it should fit these engine plates, see photo.

Am I right to guess left and right are the same?

If anyone would have a spare one which they'd be willing to part with I am very willing to swap or buy for the asking price, no matter the condition.

Many thanks!

Kind regards Winold