Crankcase gasket?

Started by Thomas, December 13, 2020, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Very well! I already ordered Hylomar and proceed with that.
Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

singleminded

The lips are there to help align the crankcase halves ,the same as both my Sunbeam engines.I have never had a leak from the crankcase joint on either of my bikes, you should be fine with it..

Thomas

Thank you Klaudius and John,

my crankcase does not join face to face but has lips on the timing side. They go opposite to each other from the conrod openning down towards the sump (see pictures). In the first picture one can see the 12 thou gasket I have found. It introduced a far too large end float. If I do use any gasket I apply a non-hardening sealant like Curil K2 (which I have in my shed). Hylomar and Wellseal are basically the same, I presume. So, then I should just apply a sealant (I tend to Curil K2), close the crankcase and hoe that it later won't leak (fingers crossed  ???).

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

Thomas, is you crank case join just a face to face join or does it have an lip to line it up.
Neither of my Sunbeams or my 2 Vincents have gaskets for the crankcase join, just a good quality non setting joint compound..i personally like Wellseal but it may not be available where you are. Hylomar Blue or similar is also excellent..
Vincents use 1" mainshaft shims in 31 thou 10 thou and 5 thou thicknesses..John

klaudius

Hello
Each installed seal also increases the axial play of the crankshaft. Original wasn't there. I personally use a touch of sealing paste. Nothing should come out of the gap. Color gray-the red looks cruel. Is good to dismantle and remove / clean again. Greetings from Germany. Claudius.

Thomas

I checked it already and can't find one. But is that a guarantee that there is none? I had a 12 thou in. But my end float was far too large. Now with a 2 thou backing paper it's fine. That means that even no gasket would deliver a good end float. But I am concerned that the crankcase might leak without any gasket. And that can only be tested when everything is assembled again...
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

https://www.sunbeamland.com/partslist/
the earlier ones did not have gaskets..
Check on Sean's site above for the parts lists.

Thomas

Does anybody know if there was originally a gasket installed between the two crankcase halfes?
Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)