Set of new teeth

Started by clutchslip, November 22, 2020, 10:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorrog

That looks really good and shows what can be done. John is right regarding the reason for the spring loaded tooth, its important when kicking over to feel that the quadrant has engaged correctly and not jammed before actually kicking over.

Incidentally we are currently looking at getting some kickstart quadrants manufactured and are awaiting quotes.
Graham

singleminded

No,no wear there or at least not enough to worry about..The loose tooth is supposed to stop the teeth meeting end on and jamming when you kick the bike. This is not unknown in old bike gearboxes. I've had it happen with a few bikes..It happens on Vincent comet Burman boxes as well, all you do with Burman boxes is slightly relieve the top of the first tooth on the quadrant so that it engages just a little lower in the ratchet..Or just put the bike in gear pull backwards and try again. It most likely helps that the parts are not brand new.

clutchslip

That's interesting that you've never used a floating tooth John, I'm guessing that they avoid a clash of teeth by allowing the sprung tooth to depress and drop into the next gear tooth for it to follow on in mesh, is there any wear on your quadrant at all?

singleminded

Well done, where there's a will there's a way.It turned out nicely..I needed a quadrant so I bought one from Chris Odling..No loose tooth but it makes no difference,I haven't had one on my 9A since I bought it back in 1970..John

clutchslip

This is a crude gear cutting technique, if it was anything other than a kickstart quadrant, I think I would be struggling to get a satisfying mesh.
A Sunbeam Lion repair that I've been working on: The kickstart quadrant was devoid of the first 7 teeth and was missing its floating tooth (which probably did the damage in the first place) so I built it up with mild steel mig weld and set about recutting the teeth.
I have a basic dividing head which only indexes in 15 degree increments so I made up an angle plate with a reamed hole to locate a ground location peg that enabled me to use the good remaining teeth for tooth pitch datums to mill the new teeth, knife and fork style.
Photos show roughing cuts and basically 3 cuts that gave me an approximate tooth profile, the teeth were then hand profiled with needle files and blue on the mating gear to give me a really nice fit.
Made a floating tooth from a bit of En8 and have since successfully case hardened the quadrant and tooth with good old Kasenit, to give me a (hopefully) serviceable assembly.
This is my first post, I'm not confident that the 4 the images have attached.