Model 8 1934 Clutch

Started by ChrisF, October 10, 2020, 09:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisF

Klaudius, Singleminded, Paul,
Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
Cheers Chris

klaudius

klaudius

Both parts are built up with a laser and ground to size. No heat distortion. I was able to use the warehouse again with new balls. Absolutely perfect funkcion. Greetings to Germany. Claudius

klaudius

klaudius

Hello
The game can be easily repaired with a laser. Greetings Claudius

singleminded

You can see in the first photo that the chainwheel 'floats' on the centre boss of the backplate, the back of the centre also has a boss to make the chainwhell fully floating.
The last 2 are my attempt at making a backplate, this is the only one I have tried so far..The centre splines are off a C15 engine sprocket machined to fit a recess in the main plate and tig welded in place..I cut the 26tpi thread for the kickstart spline directly into the machine sprocket..Good for practice anyway..John

singleminded

These 3 show the spacer i made to overcome the deeper than expected splines in the backplate that made the ratchet not return.

singleminded

These 2 photo's show the ratchet ,back plate and centre on the mainshaft. The ratchet on mine just run on the mainshaft with no sleeve inside it, the oil thrower washer behind it is held in place by the ratchet spring. this allows for some endfloat in the mainshaft.
More pics coming.

phutton

Hi Chris,

According to the catalogue the three-speed "crash" gearbox is correct for the 1934 Model 8. There is no mention of the M8 in the 1933/34 spare list supplement, so this would tend to confirm the catalogue information. The four-speed box was introduced on the M8 for 1935.

The 1933 spares list for the M8 also lists the distance piece 4835A. Is this the part that the kickstart pinion rotates on?

One point about these clutches: there has to be a very small amount of float to allow the corks in the clutch basket to come free of the backplate (the one that carries the ratchet) when the clutch is lifted.

Paul H

singleminded

The only problem i have found with a spare clutch i have is that the splines seem a bit deeper in the back plate and won't allow the loose kickstart ratchet to clear the serations in the backplate. i over come this by making a split ring(EN24) to go into the backplate to stop it going back too far.
I;ll take some photos of the clutch assy onand the mainshaft and post them here..John

ChrisF

Thanks John. I have a 1929 parts list & there is a 'distance piece' part C482 amongst the clutch bits. I am wondering if this is what I need to cure the basket wobble but do you have nothing between the basket & the plate behind it , the plate which the kickstart gear engages?
Cheers
Chris

singleminded

Nothing fits in the groove on my 4 speeders and I think that is the same for the 3 speed ones as well..It was most likely easier to produce the groove to allow the splines to butt up against the shoulder than make square ended slots for the clutch backplate splines.  John

ChrisF

Hello, I am trying to build a 1934 Model 8 from several boxes of parts I purchased as a part finished project some years ago. I have assembled the clutch but there is a lot of 'float' on the clutch sprocket/basket. Although it is a 1934 bike it came with a 3 speed BT gearbox (I believe it should be a 4 speed for the year) I would like to use the box it came with. Can anyone please tell me if I should have a spacer between the plate behind the basket & the clutch basket? The clutch bearing has been replaced & is good. I'm sure a spacer would cure the wobble. Can you also tell me the purpose of the groove around the circumference of the gearbox shaft in the attached photo?
Thanks Chris