One step forward, One step back

Started by MarkO, September 07, 2020, 09:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkO

Ha! You are man after my own heart. It is almost a badge of honor to do it for peanuts! I will post a pic when done but don't hold your breath

andythomp

No Mark its a bit of junk from a jumble I hacked down and welded a new foot on it.
I just used scrap bits to make up the clamp since you cant see it and bent the rod with a big hammer in the vice and screwed it into the stand mounting for the support.
I made the foot peg hanger rod longer to accommodate the stand mounting and you may need to do similar or find another place to fit it.
I agree a side stand is essential.... unless you live in Holland!
Good luck
Andy

MarkO

Hi Andy
That's neat. Is that an Enfield stand by any chance?
Mark

andythomp

Hi Mark
I have just fitted a side stand to my model2.
Here are some photos of how it works.
The sidestand mounting is bolted to the end of the footrest but this is not strong enough to support the weight so I clamped a support between the engine plates and run a rod from it below the chaincase and up over the exhaust into the mounting.
You hardly notice it!
All the best
Andy

MarkO

Yes - wavy washers might suffice. Regarding the 1/2 Whitworth thread size my bolts use, are you saying that is not standard? It did occur to me that the shoulder on my bolts is only 1/32" wide. That is not much. Perhaps the original size was 7/16 BSF or BSCy? - that would give a 1/16" shoulder width, which is much more 'sensible'.
Thinking about it, my bolts are obviously not standard because the shouldered diameter on the one I still have measures 0.567". I think it has been made oversize to take up wear in the stand.

singleminded

You could look at Belville washer or wavy washer as they are also called..These have the advantage of being thinner than Thackray washers..Also most Thackray washers are double spring,Thackray washers have a bend in them so that they compress flat. You could wire them in place..as you have noted the Whit thread is not right , BSF of Cycle depending on the year..I had braze tube into the stand threads and retap as mine had been taken out to 1/2" whit..the coarser the thread the easier it is for the stand bolts to rattle out..I made bolts so that the shoulder tightened against the frame on the drive side and left the stand free to move and used a lock nut on the inside of the lefthand side as KBryt has mentioned..
John

MarkO

Firstly, thanks for your replies.
Thackery washers make alot of sense.  Other manufacturers also used them on rear stands. However, the only 9/16 Thackery washers I could find are zinc plated and described as 9/16 x 1 - which I assume refers to the O/D. They also appear to be made from a thick gauge material so might look a bit 'agricultural'.
Are there any other more finely engineered alternatives I wonder?
I looked at that period side stand accessory option but I think I shall go for a modified engine plate with modern stand that I can tuck underneath the exhaust. It will not happen overnight and I am looking forward to some workshop time.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Two wheelers are not a good form of transport if you can't prop them up in some way!

phutton

Yes there should be thackeries under the bolt head, but these are anti-rattle devices rather than locking washers, and one side will always be trying to come undone!

P.

kbryt

prop stand..........I recommend the Vintele repro of Esway stands, look them up, I have two on a 1928 beam and a much heavier  1938 Matchless.

stand bolts,it occurred to me that you should have a Thackery washer under the head of the bolt, which on mine has a oversize head to accomodate it.

MarkO

Hello Paul
Any pictures of the sidestand would be most useful. There are many secondhand sidestands on ebay but they will all need modifying. Mounting the stand on a new extended engine plate makes sense but the stand will end up tucked behind the exhaust so I will need to add something to operate it.
Thanks for the info on the carb. Mine is a 10TT9 which has a 1 3/16th inch bore. I am thinking that it may be too large. What do you think? Is it worth the effort? A new slide is 80 quid!

phutton

Marston's did make a sidestand for the 95 - it was fitted to the front engine plate. I will see if I can get a photo of one. If you look in the Amal booklet, it gives details of the M95 carb setting, but that is for a 10TT34 - might be a good starting point, though. I will send you details.

P.

MarkO

That is an idea. There might be just enough room. I have ordered the material to make two new ones. What the bike desperately needs is a sidestand. That rear stand is awkward to use and I am worried about breaking it.

kbryt

MarkO

Hi
I thought about that but unfortunately there no room on the drive side. The one remaining bolt that I have is also not long enough. I might just resort to Loctite. I am surprised that it is a Whitworth thread. BSF would have been better.

kbryt

You need a thin locknut on those bolts on the inside of the frame.

MarkO

Hello All
Having finally got my Model 95L running perfectly after a rebuild lasting some 3 years - including the infamous positive stop foot change which was quite a pig to set up, I went out for a ride tonight. It really is quite an impressive machine and it handles like it is on rails. The gearbox is the biggest surprise, it has a super slick gear change action now that I have mastered the set up. It has taken weeks of test runs to get it to this point but it was worth all the effort. It must have been a revelation back in the day and I am sure that only a Vincent-HRD or perhaps a Speed Twin would have bettered it.

All was good until I went to fill it with fuel. It was at that point that I discovered that the rear stand had lost one of the special shouldered pivot bolts. The bolts are 1/2 inch Whitworth thread, with a 9/16th diameter shoulder section and a head size of 3/4". I suspect that the bolts have been remade at some point, because that is not a Whitworth spanner size (should be .820" across flats?)

Anyway, not having a working stand, I had to leave the forecourt.

Does anyone have such a bolt? - I am not sure I can face making yet another part :-(

Also, I have an Amal 10TT9 carburettor that I would like to try at some point. It was originally fitted to an Inter M30. Does anyone have any experience of running one of these carbs on a 95L? - I need to know slide cutaway, main jet size, needle jet etc.
Is it worth the effort or should I stick with with the Amal 289 (which seems perfect)?
Any advice would be most welcome
Thanks in advance
Mark