What's the trick?

Started by Thomas, August 30, 2020, 10:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Hm, strange. Even more, though, if I consult my MOT inspection papers and listen to the sound reflection at the walls of small villages. The papers give a noise level of 80db for the Sunbeam and 105 db for the BSA. So, a 250cc BSA is supposed to be as loud as a Ducati Multistrada and a Sunbeam like a regular car... ha!
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

shorrog

That's an  interesting question.
When I purchased my 1930 sunbeam some 20 years ago the owner explained that the exhaust pipes were full of holes and I would need to replace the exhaust system. Anyway we still started the bike and indeed it sounded very loud as you would expect. So I duly went off and purchased a new exhaust system fitted it to the bike and then started it. Well it sounded virtually the same as the last time with the holes in the exhaust, I took the silencer off and yes basically it was a straight through exhaust .

So I think that it is normal at least for some Sunbeams.
Graham

Thomas

On my BSA the end of the exhaust is closed. Radial holes lead the exhaust gases into the silencer. On my Sunbeam, however, the exhaust is open. The gases are led directly and undamped into the silencer. Is this the case with all Sunbeams?
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

shorrog

Excellent and thanks for posting the photos.
Graham

Thomas

You were right, Graham, it's screwed in. One has to unscrew the footrest out of its holder to turn it out, though. Here are the pictures.

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

shorrog

Hi Thomas
I am fairly sure that the footrest is simply screwed into the frame. Therefore you need to unscrew the footrest, turn it vertical then gently tap to unscrew. The mounting bracket for the silencer will then come off.

If this does work take a photo and post back here as I am sure other members would find it useful.
Graham

Thomas

Hi all!

I want to disconnect my exhaust pipe. It's connected at the rear footrest but there is no stud, no bolt, no nut. How can I get it off???

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)