Eureka Oil Pressure Gauge

Started by AndyB, August 10, 2020, 12:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyB

Quote from: klaudius on August 31, 2020, 03:10:18 PM
Hello. The Eureka as well as Smiths, Singer etc. have the stuck pointers in order to achieve a certain preload of the pointer. Think setting the pointer to 0 and soldering it brings about too high (displayed) pressure. Greetings Claudius

Thanks, I soldered the needle to the centre boss, but that is still a press fit onto the spindle, so remains adjustable.

klaudius

Hello. The Eureka as well as Smiths, Singer etc. have the stuck pointers in order to achieve a certain preload of the pointer. Think setting the pointer to 0 and soldering it brings about too high (displayed) pressure. Greetings Claudius

AndyB

Thanks Rick,
I soldered the needle back on to the boss as it was so loose. I have two options when I get the bike back together - hopefully one of them will work!

Rick Parkington

Hi Andy, 
Pretty sure when I did mine years ago the needle was pressed on like a speedo needle, rather than soldered, so maybe yours has been soldered by a past owner - just in case anybody else comes up against it.
One other thing that may help someone, the Model 14 we had came fitted with a 1970s Smiths gauge that worked okay but looked like it had dropped off Jack Regan's Granada...horrible! However I picked up a busted prewar one at a car jumble for a couple of quid and was able to swap the dial and needle.

Cheers Rick

AndyB

If you're in the Marston Sunbeam Facebook group you'll see that with some helpful advice I sorted this - If you're not on Facebook, I de-soldered the needle, which fell off its mounting boss towards the dial, so didn't solve the problem. I then used a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the spindle under the face and a small pair of pliers on the needle boss, with the unit grasped in wood faced vice, and the boss came off quite easily. Quite interesting to see the arrangement of levers etc to convert the expansion of the thin-walled copper tube into needle movement.

AndyB

I'm hoping to resurrect the gauge that came with my bike in a box of bits, and need to remove the needle to clean up the face. I can't persuade it to budge with gentle pressure from behind and on close inspection it looks as if it's soldered on - does anyone know please?