Oil feed for 1927 Model 5

Started by Brian Petheram, May 04, 2020, 02:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Petheram

This has now been resolved thanks to help from members not on the forum. The elbow going in to the crankcase was indeed blocked solid. It is clamped between the crankcase halves and can be pulled out after loosening adjacent crankcase nuts. I was told it might be necessary to remove the barrel to aid loosening but I managed without this. Of course I stripped and cleaned the oil tank, pump. pipes, sight glass etc. to hopefully avoid future problems but I couldn't find any other contamination. All seems good now.
I thought I'd post the outcome in case others come across the same issue - there was a post on the forum about this a couple of years ago that never got any replies.
Brian

Brian Petheram

There seems to be a restriction in the oil feed to the engine of my 1927 Longstroke. When I operate the hand pump the sight glass fills and stays full for ages (with the 2 way tap set to feed the engine of course). I removed the main feed pipe but that is clear. However if I use a syringe to pump oil through the "elbow with sprayer" (part no.A970) it seems to be blocked. It may not be entirely blocked as the engine wet sumped when left for some weeks but it doesn't seem right to me.
I have two questions: is this normal or is there a fault?; and if there is a fault, how do I remove the elbow to try and clear it - it appears to be fixed to the crankcase but I can't see how?
I've only started it in the workshop and taken it a few hundred yards up the road - I don't want to ride it further until I am satisfied the oiling system is working as it should. I have the handbook and parts book but they are precious little help on this issue.
Cheers
Brian